University cancels classes on Wednesday, extends Condition 3 status

aug-28-dth-035.jpg

Two UNC students embraced each other as they exited a building following the shooting on campus on Monday, Aug. 28, 2023.

UNC classes are canceled on Wednesday, according to an Alert Carolina message sent at 3:38 p.m. on Tuesday. The University is also extending its Condition 3 status until 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday.

The University previously sent an Alert Carolina at 3:24 p.m. on Tuesday, incorrectly informing students that classes would be canceled for the rest of the week. 

Non-mandatory operations are suspended, University facilities are closed and employees not deemed mandatory should not report to work, code leave or makeup time.

This alert follows the arrest of UNC graduate student Tailei Qi, 34, who is charged with the murder of Zijie Yan, an associate professor in the UNC Department of Applied Physical Sciences.

An Emergency Alert Carolina was sent to University members at 1:04 p.m. on Monday alerting campus of an “armed and dangerous person on or near campus." Qi has since been taken into police custody and made his first appearance at the Orange County Courthouse today in Hillsborough. 

Qi is facing charges of first-degree murder and possession of a gun on educational property. He is currently being held without bond.

@caitlyn_yaede

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Caitlyn Yaede

Caitlyn Yaede is the 2023-24 print managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel and oversees weekly print production. She previously served as the DTH's opinion editor and summer editor. Caitlyn is a public policy master's student at UNC.