Ford, Menante and Greaser lead Team USA to historic Walker Cup win

Menante, Ford, Greaser with Walker Cup-2.jpg
UNC golf players Dylan Menante, David Ford, and Austin Greaser posed with the Walker Cup after competing in the international golf match in St. Andrews, Scotland, on Sept. 4, 2023. Photo Courtesy of UNC Athletics.

Members of the UNC men’s golf team, David Ford, Dylan Menante and Austin Greaser, competed for Team USA in the 49th Walker Cup in Scotland this weekend.

The United States rallied to defeat Great Britain and Ireland 14.5-11.5 at the Old Course at St. Andrews. The matchplay team event, which was composed of two singles and two foursomes sessions, took place on Saturday and Sunday.

The Walker Cup is amateur golf's premier team event. It's played every two years between two teams, one representing the United States and the other representing Great Britain and Ireland. 2023 marked the first time a Tar Heel has played in the Walker Cup since Tom Scherrer in 1991.

Ford, Menante and Greaser — all ranked in the top 10 of the World Amateur Golf Ranking — entered the week having reached match play in the U.S. Amateur at Cherry Hills Country Club two weeks prior.

Before the event, Greaser told reporters he had never dreamed of playing a Walker Cup at a historic place like St. Andrews. The Old Course at St. Andrews is the oldest golf course in the world and St. Andrews Links is often referred to as the 'Home of Golf.'

"To be able to feel the nerves and the pressure and just the amazing opportunity to represent the United States of America, I don't care how many or what holes I play," Greaser said in a press conference on Friday. "I just want to play."

Menante was paired with Vanderbilt standout and No. 1 ranked amateur Gordon Sargent to put the first point on the board for the USA. They defeated Barclay Brown and Mark Power of GB&I in a 3-and-2 victory in Saturday's foursomes.

"My legs were shaking on the first tee shot," Menante told reporters after the match. "So I was like, ‘Just please go left like it's supposed to.'"

Ford and Preston Summerhays lost their Saturday foursomes match 1-down, while Greaser sat out the opening session.

In Saturday's afternoon singles session, Greaser and Ford both had leads but couldn’t hold on. Team GB&I took a 7.5-4.5 lead going into the final day.

Menante and Greaser teamed up Sunday morning in the foursomes but struggled against the GB&I team of Liam Nolan and Power, losing 4-and-3. Team USA, however, trimmed GB&I’s lead to just one point entering the final session.

Needing six points in the Sunday singles to win the cup, Team USA won seven. Menante tied his match against Matthew McClean, while Greaser and Ford anchored the comeback. Ford sunk a birdie putt on the 16th hole to win his match over Alex Maguire and clinch the cup outright. Greaser clinched the final point, winning his match 3-and-1.

Emotion poured out of Ford after making the cup-clinching putt, shouting in triumph with his fists clenched. While carrying the American flag, Greaser greeted him on the 18th fairway with a jubilant chest bump.

"They just played hard, right to the bitter end," USA captain Mike McCoy told Golf Channel’s Steve Burkowski. "We had those two Tar Heels in those last two spots. I had a lot of confidence in them."

The UNC Golf Team competed at the Walker Cup in St. Andrews, Scotland, on Sept. 2 and 3, 2023. Photo Courtesy of UNC Athletics.

The UNC men’s golf team will begin the fall season Sept. 15 through Sept. 17 at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational in Chicago. Ford, Menante and Greaser will return to the Home of Golf with their Tar Heel teammates for the inaugural St. Andrews Links Collegiate Oct. 23 through Oct. 25.