UNC men's soccer draws against Virginia Tech in first conference game of the season

10072022_Crochik_Soccer-1.jpg

Then-sophomore forward Juan Caffaro (10) dribbles the ball at the UNC men's soccer game versus Virginia Tech game on Friday, Oct. 7, 2022 in Chapel Hill.

The UNC men’s soccer team (2-0-2, 0-0-1 ACC) began its conference play with a 1-1 draw against Virginia Tech (0-2-3, 0-0-1 ACC) on the road on Friday night. 

Graduate forward David Bercedo generated the first offensive pressure of the night for the Tar Heels in the fifth minute, side-stepping a defender and getting a weak shot on goal off his right foot. Virginia Tech responded 10 minutes later when a Hokie forward got behind the defense, but he mishandled the cross and could not capitalize.

The Hokie offense continued to present problems for the UNC defense throughout the first half. In the 22nd minute, first-year forward Marcos Escoe found an opening and rocketed a shot just on the outside part of the net. Junior goalkeeper Quinn Closson, starting in goal for the first time this season, saved his first shot of the day a few minutes later. 

Neither team could find its mark on the offensive end. UNC attempted two crosses into the box to start the second half, but could not produce a solid strike on net. Through 61 minutes of action, both teams had just one shot on goal. 

The Tar Heels got their best chance of the day when graduate forward Martin Vician went up over two defenders and headed the ball to the feet of Bercedo. He launched a rocket into the top left corner of the goal but was it was saved by the outstretched Hokie goalkeeper.

Virginia Tech finally scored the first goal of the game in the 77th minute. Junior midfielder Declan Quill found the left foot of first-year forward Oliver Roche. All alone with the goalkeeper, he flicked the ball into the left side of the goal, breaking the Tar Heel defense on just the team’s second shot on goal of the game.

After a 40-minute lightning delay, UNC came out of the break and tied it up in the 82nd minute. With the ball on his right foot, graduate midfielder Quenzi Huerman directed a tactful strike into the top right corner of the net. He has been the leader of UNC’s offensive attack over the last three games, scoring four goals.

The draw caps a successful road trip for UNC. After earning two victories against East Tennessee St. and VCU, the result keeps the Tar Heels’ unbeaten streak alive to start the season.  

The Tar Heels will return home to take on Notre Dame next Friday at 7 p.m.