University cancels classes after lockdown, CHCCS dismisses students as usual

03292023_Hayes_university-day-of-giving-2023-49.jpg

South Building stands on Wednesday, March 29, 2023.

Update 9/13/23 3:22 p.m.: In an official email from Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz sent at 3:20 p.m., the University confirmed that classes will be canceled for the day. UNC will be in Condition 3 until 5 p.m. and move to Condition 2 until 11:59 p.m.

In Condition 3, the University is closed. All classes are suspended, facilities are closed and mandatory employees must report to or remain at work. In Condition 2, the University suspends classes and all non-mandatory operations.

The University will cancel all classes for Wednesday, Sept. 13, according to email communications sent to UNC faculty. 

This comes after police received reports of an armed and dangerous person on or near campus. The University ordered students, faculty and staff to shelter in place. The lockdown lasted for one hour and 15 minutes.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools suspended "secure mode" and dismissed students as usual. After-school activities and Community Schools After-School Care will take place normally, according to an email from CHCCS Chief Communications Officer Andy Jenks.

Chapel Hill Transit announced it would resume service at 2:40 p.m.

@caitlyn_yaede

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Caitlyn Yaede

Caitlyn Yaede is the 2023-24 print managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel and oversees weekly print production. She previously served as the DTH's opinion editor and summer editor. Caitlyn is a public policy master's student at UNC.