Amanda Tonkin recognized for work as CHCCS school psychologist

20231010_Cox_city-amanda-tonkin-teacher-feature.jpg

CHCCS school psychologist Amanda Tonkin poses for a portrait outside of Culbreth Middle School on Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2023.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools recognized school psychologist Amanda Tonkin on Sept. 20 as the Exceptional Children Educator of Excellence for 2023. Tonkin works with students at both Rashkis Elementary School and Culbreth Middle School.

This award is given to one educator in each local education agency across North Carolina each year. 

CHCCS's Exceptional Children program aims to ensure that students with disabilities are supported as they acquire academic, social and functional skills, according to the district's website. 

In her role, Tonkin supports students' social, emotional and behavioral needs. 

David Bouldin, the program's director of compliance, nominated Tonkin to receive the award. 

Bouldin said the criteria for the recognition is being a strong advocate for student needs, working with students for most of the day and having a strong leadership capacity.

CHCCS posted a video on X of Bouldin and his team surprising Tonkin with news that she received the award. 

“I was totally surprised, I had no idea, but it feels really good,” Tonkin said. “It’s nice to know that people see that and appreciate it, it kind of reinforces the work that I am doing and makes me want to do it more."

She said she was very surprised that she received the award and is still processing it. She also said that she has been taking on a lot of unique leadership roles recently and appreciates being recognized. 

“I work really hard and it’s nice to feel seen," she said.

Before coming to CHCCS, Tonkin worked for the Alamance-Burlington School System and then High Point University. She said she came to CHCCS because she wanted to return to a K-12 setting after working in higher education. 

In her role as a school psychologist, Tonkin works closely with teachers and parents, making plans and recommendations to cater students' learning experiences to their individual needs. 

“All children need to feel a sense of belonging in our schools, and they need to have the skills to regulate themselves emotionally and behaviorally,” Teonaka Daye, CHCCS's director of psychological and support services, said.

Tonkin uses the Multi-Tiered System of Support model in her work, which is centered around supporting students with in-classroom needs outside of the school building.

"She is a leader in school. In the face of vacancy, she steps up to help her colleagues, creatively problem solves, makes sure decisions are student-centered, helps adults support student needs and truly goes above and beyond to support students, families and colleagues," Daye said. 

Tonkin was hired in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic and worked virtually with students during this time, but Daye said that she jumped right into the role.

“She was such a strong leader from the beginning, having a wonderful can-do attitude working through the pandemic,” Bouldin said.

Tonkin said she loves her job because she gets to work with kids and interact with interdisciplinary teams.

“Her ability to develop relationships and garner the trust of her colleagues to support students and families speaks to who she is,” Daye said.

More in Education

More in Chapel Hill