Carolina Waves makes a splash for independent artists in N.C. music scene

mir-cats.JPG
Photo courtesy of Carolina Waves

Carolina Waves, a multi-branch platform that provides exposure and opportunities to independent and local artists throughout North Carolina, was, according to Miriam Tolbert, created from the heart.

Tolbert, the founder and owner of Carolina Waves, said that she was inspired to create the platform after seeing talented artists not get the recognition they deserved.

“It’s something that a lot of us will experience — being great at something, including myself, but often overlooked or ignored for whatever reason,”  Tolbert said. 

The platform promotes local, independent artists through concerts, showcases, industry mixers and open mics. They also host events at music festivals and have a radio show featuring artists weekly on K97.5, according to their website. 

Watty Tha Shepherd, an independent hip-hop artist, signed up for two Carolina Waves open mic events in Durham and Charlotte, but both events ended before he had a chance to get on stage. Still, he said that attending the open mic experiences inspired him as an artist, and he talked to Tolbert, leading him to perform first at the next event in Greensboro.

This year, Watty Tha Shepherd performed at the Carolina Waves Hopscotch Day Party in Raleigh ahead of the Hopscotch Music Festival.

“I got to speak my message to people that have never seen me before, so all in all, I would just say I’m grateful for the experience,” he said. “It was an opportunity to touch stages I hadn’t touched, meet people I haven’t met.” 

By connecting him with other artists, he said that Tolbert and Carolina Waves created an opportunity for him to learn how to improve his own music. 

Tolbert’s experience working as a host for K97.5 gave Carolina Waves a commercial radio platform, which allows her to draw attention to new and independent artists.

Tolbert said that she wants to connect people and that when people come to events, it’s all about embracing everyone — no matter their differences. 

“It’s just one of those things you have to experience,” Tolbert said. “It’s just such a positive, warm and loving atmosphere.” 

Lena Jackson, a hip-hop artist from Raleigh, performed alongside other independent artists from North Carolina on Black AF, a cypher and single which was organized by Tolbert in 2020.

Jackson said that she respected Tolbert and Carolina Waves for putting forth a powerful project like Black AF and for using their artistry to address injustices faced by Black people. 

She said that the platform puts a lot of meticulous thought and care into selecting artists for showcases and lineups.

“Carolina Waves is one of the most discussed and regarded brands when it comes to the music scene in North Carolina,” Jackson said. “I think that it says a lot, and there are definitely others, but, very often, Carolina Waves winds up coming to everyone’s minds very quickly. And I think it’s a testament of Tolbert’s hard work, drive, things like that, but also the ability to conduct business professionally and appropriately.” 

Despite all the success of Carolina Waves thus far, Tolbert said that she is ready to evolve into the next stage. She would like to expand further into South Carolina, hold more social events and host a Carolina Waves music festival in 2024.

She also aspires to provide educational opportunities for artists to learn about the music business and prevent them from being taken advantage of in the music industry. 

“It's important to create safe spaces for creatives to be able to connect and build that community and form a sense of camaraderie, and so I'll continue doing those things with Carolina Waves and as we evolve into the next phase of the next thing, that will always be the foundation and what we continue to do — provide opportunities and spaces and put you in the room with the people,” Tolbert said.

@madisongagnon9

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com