No. 1 UNC women's soccer's clash with No. 22 Duke ends in 1-1 draw

wsoc-duke-gamer-select.jpg
Junior midfielder/forward Emily Colton (19) kicks the ball and proceeds to score against the Duke Blue Devils at Koskinen Stadium, Durham, NC. UNC and Duke drew, 1-1.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s soccer team (9-0-5, 4-0-2 ACC) drew with No. 22 Duke (5-4-3, 1-2-3 ACC), 1-1, in a back-and-forth and fast-paced rivalry showdown at Koskinen Stadium on Sunday in Durham.

North Carolina won both matches against Duke last season, including a penalty-shootout victory in the ACC Tournament.

The Tar Heels registered their first shot on goal just two minutes in, when redshirt sophomore forward Ally Sentnor charged to the top of the box before blasting a left-footed shot towards the far post. Duke goalkeeper Leah Freeman was up to the challenge, however, making the save at full stretch.

Around the 20-minute mark, Duke was able to win the ball high up the field and record two shots. Blue Devil midfielder Maggie Graham’s left-footed effort did not find the target. Forward Grace Watkins’ shot did, but UNC redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Emmie Allen made a comfortable save.

A big chance for Duke came in the 40th minute. After a scramble just outside the UNC penalty area, the ball fell to Duke forward Mia Minestrella. With only Allen between her and the back of the net, she dragged her shot wide of the goal.

UNC controlled possession at times throughout the first half, but struggled to create clear cut chances. Duke grew into the game as the half progressed. Looking to counter attack against the Tar Heels, the Blue Devils out shot UNC 5-4. Both teams’ back lines held firm, and the game was level at zero after 45 minutes.

“It’s a rivalry game,” head coach Anson Dorrance said after the match. “They’re always going to play us tough. I thought Duke, first half especially, was outstanding.”

UNC broke the deadlock in the 59th minute off a goal from junior midfielder Emily Colton. Redshirt sophomore defender Emerson Elgin made a weaving run into the Duke box before poking the ball towards Colton, whose right-footed screamer gave Freeman no chance, as it struck the bottom of the crossbar before crossing the line.

For Colton, it was her second goal of the season and second in her last two games. She scored the winner against Miami on Thursday.

The Tar Heels began to exert dominance over the play after the opening goal. They ramped up the pressure on the Duke goal and pushed the Blue Devils back.

The referee awarded a penalty kick to UNC in the 79th minute when graduate forward Isabel Cox dashed into the box and was fouled by Duke defender Cameron Roller. Senior forward Avery Patterson stepped to the spot for UNC, but saw her low shot saved by Freeman.

The penalty save gave the Blue Devils life, and they pushed for the equalizer late in the match. They found it through leading scorer Kat Rader in the final minute. Roller played an inch-perfect ball to Rader, who found herself unmarked and, with a glancing header, directed the ball past Allen.

The Tar Heels had little time to respond, and the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

“We’ve got to figure out ways to close games out,” Dorrance said. “That seems to be a common theme.”

UNC returns to action Friday Oct. 13 when it travels to No. 17 Wake Forest. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.