UNC football team defeats No. 25 Miami 41-31 to stay perfect on the season

1014_Paul_football-miami-halftime-redo.JPG
UNC junior wide receiver Devontez ‘Tez’ Walker (9) makes a touchdown during the football game against Miami on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023, in Kenan Stadium.

After trailing at halftime, the No. 12 North Carolina Football (6-0, 3-0 ACC) team dominated the third quarter in all phases en route to a 41-31 victory over No. 25 Miami (4-2, 0-2 ACC). The win was the Tar Heels' fifth straight victory over the Hurricanes.

Junior wide receiver Tez Walker and sophomore running back Omarion Hampton spearheaded the UNC offense. Walker caught six passes for 132 yards and three touchdowns, while Hampton added 197 yards on the ground. Senior linebacker Cedric Gray was all over the field for the Tar Heels defense, recording 10 tackles to go along with an interception and fumble recovery.

The first three drives of the game resulted in punts, with both teams starting strong defensively.

Pinned back at its own 9-yard line to start its second drive, UNC stormed into Miami territory when quarterback Drake Maye found junior wide receiver J.J. Jones for a 48-yard completion. Maye capped off a 91-yard drive with an 18-yard touchdown pass to Walker on third-and-goal. Walker glided across the middle of the field and into the end zone for his first score as a Tar Heel.

Miami reached UNC's one-yard line on the subsequent drive but fumbled. Junior defensive back Jahvaree Ritzie knocked the ball loose and Gray recovered to halt the Hurricanes’ momentum.

UNC led 7-0 after a chippy and sloppy first quarter. 

Miami tied the game early in the second quarter through an 18-yard Tyler Van Dyke touchdown pass to a wide-open Xavier Restrepo.

After converting on fourth down around midfield, Van Dyke delivered a 35-yard touchdown strike under heavy pressure to Jacolby George, giving the Hurricanes a 14-7 lead. 

Hampton tied the game when he powered into the end zone from two yards out with 2:05 left in the second quarter. Hampton had a strong first half, rushing for 76 yards on 12 carries.

Miami kicked a field goal as time expired and took a 17-14 lead heading into halftime. 

The Tar Heels started the second half with a lightning strike to retake the lead. Walker beat the Miami secondary over the top and Maye delivered a perfect 56-yard ball for their second touchdown connection of the night.

Miami crossed into UNC territory on the next drive, but the Hurricanes fumbled again, this time a bad snap. While UNC failed to capitalize on that turnover, they quickly would get another chance. Gray intercepted a Van Dyke pass, setting the stage for Maye and Walker to connect again. Backed up on third-and-20, they made it look easy on a 33-yard score that gave the Tar Heels a 28-17 lead.

UNC never looked back. After the Walker touchdown, the Tar Heels’ defense forced a three-and-out before Maye found Hampton for a 4-yard score. UNC outscored the Hurricanes 21-0 in the third and led 35-17.

Van Dyke delivered two touchdown passes in the fourth, but the Tar Heels kicked two field goals to keep the Hurricanes at bay.

The undefeated Tar Heels return to Kenan Stadium next week when they face ACC foe Virginia.