Registrar's office announces ConnectCarolina course registration updates

Lewis-DC-1017-1.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. Connect Carolina will be updated for course registration.

On Oct. 2, the UNC student body received an email from the Office of the University Registrar announcing new changes to ConnectCarolina. 

With registration right around the corner, the email explained that students will now be able to join waitlists of up to 12 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters and eight credit hours in the summer. When on the waitlist, these credits will no longer count toward ConnectCarolina's 18 credit hour open enrollment limit.

There will also be a “Swap to Waitlist” option and a new deadline for joining a class waitlist. 

“It’s a giant win for students because I believe it was counting against you, in terms of credits,” Ketan Mayer-Patel, the director of undergraduate studies for the computer science department and an associate professor, said. “If you were waitlisted for three credits, it was as if you were enrolled and registered for three credits, and so you had a very limited number of things that you could put on a waitlist.” 

According to an email statement from the registrar’s office, the University hopes these changes will make it easier for students to register for classes in the future, as well as help departments understand the demand for courses and plan accordingly. 

Mayer-Patel said he feels as though these changes are long overdue.

“Over the last few registration cycles, the Office of the University Registrar has partnered with Operational Excellence and consulted with students, staff and faculty across campus to provide greater transparency, consistency and equity into the registration process,” the office said. 

The waitlist update is the third installment in a series of projects, including an enrollment appointment redesign and reserve capacity project, the office said. All waitlist changes and updates are being implemented for spring 2024 registration.    

Additionally, the waitlist will have no seat limit, although class size will remain capped and ConnectCarolina will notify students when they have successfully enrolled in a class.

Rebecca Segal, a junior and vice president of the Undergraduate Student Government, said that the changes being made to ConnectCarolina are the culmination of about a year’s worth of work within the University.

“I personally really see this as sort of the culmination of admin and making a policy based on the experiences of students,” Segal said. “Making really practical and tangible changes to make it easier for students to be Carolina students.”

These updates are the first of a few waves the University is working on to improve ConnectCarolina, Kunal Khaware, a sophomore Robertson Scholar and director of special projects within the Undergraduate Student Government, said. 

“So now that they’ve integrated it into steps — this was step one, step two is now helping graduate students. I hope that step three, the registrar talked about potentially pairing a degree tracker with your Tar Heel Tracker,” Khaware said.

UNC seniorAdam Doyle works within the Information Technology Services department as a lead student assistant and said he is looking forward to the changes that are being made to ConnectCarolina for spring semester registration. 

One of the features that Doyle said he is excited about is the informational tile that ConnectCarolina will now have, displaying the waitlisted courses a student is in, their spot on the waitlist and their enrollment outcomes. 

He also said he feels these changes were made not only because they were necessary but in direct response to complaints that the registrar’s office has received regarding registration in past semesters. 

Mayer-Patel said these changes will not only benefit students but professors as well. In previous semesters, when students were unable to join the waitlist for certain classes, Mayer-Patel said he found that students would turn to emailing professors as an attempt to waitlist or enroll in the class.

With the new updates, he said he thinks that the ConnectCarolina changes will largely eliminate the need for students to be emailing professors, who he said are usually unable to help.  

“I’m looking forward to seeing how things go. I’m hoping spring 2024 registration is smoother and improved because of the changes,” Mayer-Patel said. 

Editor's Note: Rebeca Segal serves on the Board of Directors for The Daily Tar Heel

@nataliemcc212

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

More in Student Life

More in University

More in UNC system