UNC Police investigating 15 reports of motor vehicle break-ins near campus

0325_Paul_city-office-of-violence-prevention.JPG
A UNC police car sits outside of the UNC Public Safety building on Friday, March 24, 2023.

UNC Police is investigating reports of 15 motor vehicle break-ins at multiple locations on and near the main campus since yesterday, according to an Alert Carolina email sent at 1:10 p.m. 

The email said the locations of the break-ins include the Williamson and S-11 parking lots, the Ambulatory Care Center, the McLean Center (Rizzo Center), the Ronald McDonald and SECU House and the Craig North parking deck.

"An investigation is ongoing, and no further information is available," the email said, which UNC Media Relations also confirmed. 

Anyone with information relating to the incidents should call 911 or UNC Police, according to the email. UNC Police recommend that students, faculty and community members always lock their cars, leave their windows rolled up when not with their vehicle and avoid leaving valuable items in the car where they can be seen.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates. 

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Lauren Rhodes

Lauren Rhodes is the 2024 university editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant editor and senior writer for the university desk. Lauren is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and political science with a minor in politics, philosophy and economics.