'An important start': Organization installs solar table to increase sustainability on campus

20231025-university-RESPC-solar-tables00008.jpg

Members of the Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee pose for a portrait outside of the UNC Student Stores on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2023.

A new picnic table now sits in the Pit between UNC Student Stores and the Undergraduate Library. Unlike the many other surfaces that accompany it, this table does not only provide a shaded study space — it also produces electricity.

The solar table was installed over fall break by the Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee — a student-run committee that manages the money allocated by UNC's Student Renewable Energy Fee. RESPC organized the project in collaboration with Spotlight Solar, an organization that produces solar architectural structures. 

The table has an overhead roof with solar panels which power wireless charging stations, outlets and an automatic lighting system on the table. 

“They're important because students can use that space to do their work there. But I think more so, they’re an important piece for people to see the transition towards renewable energy,” Jash Sangani, co-chair of RESPC, said. 

Noah Kittner, assistant professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering said the project is an innovative and important demonstration of the "unique" ways solar electricity can be generated in different locations.

Kittner, who teaches classes on sustainable energy systems and energy modeling, said he feels that solar energy is one of the best ways to address the climate crisis because of its carbon-free electricity. 

“If we're going to think about ways to reduce our fossil fuel use, it can start with small picnic tables. It's an important start,” Kittner said.

The Student Renewable Energy Fee is a $4 charge that every student pays as part of their tuition costs each semester. This specific fee is managed by RESPC to implement renewable energy, energy education and energy efficiency projects on campus. 

“It's important to have organizations like RESPC because that's how you can continue to be a leading university while also having your students take leadership themselves into these green initiatives,” Gianluca Ciuffreda, a member of RESPC and the project lead for the solar tables, said. 

The project began with ideas and research from members of the committee. After a year of writing proposals, sending business emails and collaborating with different organizations and campus departments, the table was ready to be installed.

Max Nelson, co-lead of the project, said that he was drawn to RESPC not only because of his passion for clean energy, but because he feels like it is one of the only clubs on campus that has the power to make change. 

“It’s one thing to be part of a club that holds these ideals, but it's another to be a part of a club that can actually act on them in a meaningful way,” Nelson said. 

Many of RESPC’s projects center on clean energy, including their work to install solar panels on Curtis Media Center and their efforts toward financing a fully electric Chapel Hill Transit Bus last year. 

Some of their current projects include working to implement electric leaf blowers on campus and installing a second solar table in the Pit in the coming weeks, in addition to researching more energy-efficient lighting and HVAC systems for buildings and dorms on campus. 

“No matter who you are, you are affected by the energy grid that powers your home.  I think that a clean energy path is the most impactful way to address the climate crisis,” Ciuffreda said. 

Rebecca Segal, co-chair of RESPC, said that the committee is a way to hold the University accountable and push them in the right direction in their sustainability efforts. 

UNC's sustainability initiative — called Sustainable Carolina — is currently striving for net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2040 through the Climate Action Plan. Segal said that the University would have to make some dramatic changes in its consumption of coal and other fossil fuels if it wants to reach that goal. 

“It's important for this university, as well-resourced and as well-funded as it is, to prioritize sustainability in its work,” Segal said. 

Sangani said that RESPC is a space for students’ voices to be heard in UNC's transition to clean energy. 

“Who are the ones that have the passion to make change and are the ones that are curious enough, energetic enough? That's the students,” Ciuffreda said. 

Editor's note: Rebecca Segal is a member of The DTH Media Corp. Board of Directors.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com