Word on the Street: Do you feel prepared for Election Day?

1107_Paul_university-election-day-wots.JPG
Marissa Pietrykowski, the secretary of the UNC NCPIRG New Voters Project, and Martha Plaehn, the campaign coordinator, encourage students to vote outside the Robert B. House Undergraduate Library on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023.

On Nov. 7, students, faculty and community members hit the polls to vote for local municipal candidates. Mayoral, Town Council and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education seats were among those on the ballot this election cycle. 

On Nov. 6, staff writer Lena Miano asked students in the Pit, "Do you feel prepared for Election Day?"

Emaan Tauseef, senior computer science major

“If I’m being completely honest, I didn’t even know election day was tomorrow.”

Nico Gleason, junior public policy major 

“I do. I early voted at Chapel of the Cross and since I live in Carrboro, it was a lot easier to sift through who to vote for. But, I think some student organizations and also community organizations like Triangle Blog Blog have done a really good job of trying to tell students who are the candidates that are going to represent them the best. And I think it helps that a UNC student is running, Theo [Theodore Nollert], because it has made it easier to penetrate the campus and get information to students.”

Samuel Ellington, junior math major 

“I would say that I do not feel prepared for the elections. I do recognize that there are a lot of resources for gathering information but sometimes it can be a little daunting and it’s a little difficult to navigate. But I would say it’s better than when I first got here two years ago.” 

Raaid Khan, sophomore business major and data science minor

“Lowkey, not really. I didn’t really know it was election day. I’m also not registered to vote here so I’m not sure if I can vote for Carolina – I’m out of state. But yeah, I don’t think I’m that prepared, to be honest.”

Shekar Jayendra, sophomore philosophy and economics double major 

“I’m registered still, back home in Dallas, and I don’t really intend on switching registration, but from what I understand, schools aren’t canceled tomorrow so I presume most people wouldn’t be as prepared as otherwise.”  

Alexia Civit, sophomore environmental studies and music double major 

“No. Build U.P. is a planning club that I’m a part of and I think they’ve taken really big efforts to spread election information and had an early voting day and everything. It’s just a really busy time of year and I haven’t been able to do my own personal research to make me prepared for those events. So that’s definitely something on my docket for today. But, in general, apart from that club, I haven’t heard anything about elections.”

Moira Kelly, sophomore global studies and public policy double major with a French minor

“I do. I think part of it comes from my major but I’ve always thought that voting was really important and I feel like there have been a lot of people on campus who have done a lot to make sure that we’re aware. But I also know that I personally have been working a lot to make sure I’m educated and know where to vote and I’ve already voted – I voted early.”

Rhyan Moore, sophomore music education education major

“I don’t feel very prepared at all for the election tomorrow. I feel like I have seen a few signs about it but not enough to give me any actual information. I feel like the school also isn’t giving very much information at all. The only thing I’ve ever really seen are student-made signs, if anything.” 

Arwen Bella, sophomore psychology major

“I also don’t feel prepared for election day at all. I didn’t even know it was election day tomorrow until this morning where I looked at my calendar. I feel like I haven’t seen anything about any candidates or anything happening. I don’t even know where I would go to vote if I was going to do that. So honestly, I don’t feel prepared at all.” 

Aidan Blevins, senior interdisciplinary studies major 

“No, not particularly. I don’t think that the University gives a lot of resources for students to get typically involved. I think most of the feedback that I’ve gotten around election season have been from peers in student government and just other campus organizations. But I really think that the University places that initiative on students to get involved rather than encouraging them and providing them the necessary resources to engage with those opportunities.”

@LenaMiano

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com