I made a new friend the other day. While we were talking, I felt out of place. Like I was cosplaying a guy who knew how to sit on a couch and talk about my ideas or opinions on current events. Like a guy who knows what to do with his arms and legs when he sits, one who would confidently splay himself across the cushion like a throw blanket. 

I couldn’t just ask her, “How was your break?” to get into a conversation that we all know would go like “It was good, very relaxing. How was yours?” to which I would reply, “Yeah, me too. Very relaxing, didn’t get up to much.” 

I needed content, something ripe and juicy to fall into my lap that I could present proudly. Something memorable. Something not so…mid. 

Mid. Adj: boring, run-of-the-mill, equally unthreatening and unexciting. 

Ex: I had the most mid conversation with Spence yesterday. It was kind of awkward. At one point he just started talking about the feral cats that live under his porch. He seems, like, emotionally dependent on them. 

Then the gut-wrenching questions came. “Wait, I never asked, but what do you like to do for fun?” Despair echoed through me. I wanted to roll away. To knock a scented candle over and set the place in a pine-scented blaze. Anything to avoid answering this question. What do I like to do for fun? One unassuming question that could so easily make me hate myself. 

Nothing I could think of was unique. And I wanted to be unique, because that is what we all want. To deliver such a scrumptious elevator pitch of myself that I’m undeniable. 

I’ve grown so accustomed to presenting myself, showing others exactly who I am in a snapshot, a few sentences or less. I have curated my personality so well, put it through so many stages of prototyping and social market analysis that it might as well come in eco-friendly packaging. (Maybe one of my interests is sustainability???)

What set me apart? What was one thing nobody else would say? Something that no other person has talked about in the history of the entire earth. 

I looked at the wine in my hand. Maybe I should say I like wine? No. Why would I say that? Nobody says that. Tonight, I brought the cheapest bottle of wine I could find and it tastes like white bread. 

Maybe reading? I do love reading. But everyone says they “like reading.” And 90 percent of reading conversations end with one of us admitting that we used to love reading, not so much anymore, but a new year's resolution is to read more. 

Maybe travel? No. Cooking? Yes that is true, I do like cooking. That is, with no homework lingering over me. And when I happen to have ingredients in the fridge. But I like cooking when I get to do it. More the idea of it. Why can’t I think of anything? 

I like cooking, reading, traveling and even wine when I have the time and energy. But I wouldn’t say that those activities are my entire life. If I were completely honest, I wouldn’t say that any hobby or interest of mine truly shapes my personality. I don’t dive into things with extreme intensity, and I will probably quit something if I’m bored of it.

In actuality, I would say I like being calm. And I like when I wake up and I have energy and walk to class without coffee and I actually make it there in time. I like it when I see a picture of myself where I have good posture. I like sitting with my friends, be it in silence or talking. I like playing Mario with my roommates and the fact that it’s taken us two months to beat this one level. But I would feel lame saying those things if you asked me what I like to do for fun. Those wouldn’t fit nicely into my eco-friendly personality packaging. 

Coming off a haze of intense internalized pressure to excel at everything in high school, I never thought that I could be mid and embrace it wholly. Three years later, I am welcoming it with open arms. 

When someone asks me how my week was, I can say “good” and actually mean it, even though nothing of substance happened at all. But it was just a good week because I felt content and happy. I don’t need to be the most interesting person in the room. I don’t need to even be interesting at all. I just need to be enjoying myself. I can be, in simpler terms, boring. Middle of the pack. Mid. 

And that’s just my Two Spence. 

@dthopinion opinion@dailytarheel.com