No. 13 UNC men's tennis prepares to begin indoor season

20230408_Evans_Mens-Tennis-Duke-10.jpg
The UNC men's tennis team huddles together before their home match against Duke at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Saturday, April 8, 2023. UNC fell to Duke 5-2.

The preseason No. 13 North Carolina men’s tennis team has reached the round of 16 in the NCAA Championship nine consecutive times. In 2024, head coach Sam Paul’s program is looking to push that streak to a decade as it begins its indoor season at the Tar Heel Invitational on Jan. 13.

Heading into its season opener, UNC retains a familiar roster despite the departure of graduate standouts Brian Cernoch and Ryan Seggerman.

Sophomore Will Jansen will look to ride the momentum from his 2023 showing in the No. 3 singles spot, hallmarked by a clutch individual victory that secured North Carolina’s 4-3 win against Wake Forest. Junior Casey Kania similarly shows no signs of slowing down after a first-team All-ACC caliber effort last year playing in the No. 1 doubles slot alongside Seggerman. In the No. 6 slot, sophomore Benjamin Kittay boasted a 5-1 record in 2023 and will be looking to build upon his performance in the coming season. 

Additionally, the Tar Heels have multiple returning seniors and graduate students that will bring experience to the squad. Dominating in the A2 singles draw at the Wake Forest Invitational in November, senior Logan Zapp clinched an impressive victory over formidable opposition from Charlotte, Auburn, Wake Forest and South Carolina.

Senior Peter Murphy is an asset in the doubles landscape, teaming up with Zapp and graduate Karl Poling to claim winning records in early-season tournaments and 2023 ACC matchups. Versatility is at the forefront of graduate Anuj Watane’s game, seen by his ten victories rotating throughout four different court positions. 

In the fall, the team welcomed two impressive newcomers in sophomore walk-on Dennis Perumov and Princeton graduate transfer Will Peters. Over the course of the Tom Chewning Invitational in September, the duo performed well — a promising sign for the spring season.

Looking ahead, Paul’s group will navigate one of the nation’s toughest schedules. Consisting of 10 NCAA championship tournament participants, including eight ITA preseason Top-25 selections, North Carolina’s early matchups will serve to gauge the team’s cohesion and resiliency. 

Matches are set to begin on Jan. 18, featuring a double header with Campbell and N.C. Central. The Tar Heels will look to make some final tuneups before hosting a pivotal ITA kickoff event, inviting stiff competition from Illinois, No. 21 Wake Forest, and No. 22 Florida. Winning this regional event will be North Carolina’s pathway to an appearance at the ITA Indoor National Championships, which the Tar Heels are looking to capture for a third time. 

Outdoor conference play does not begin until March, however UNC’s early season performance is crucial in preparing for an intense ACC slate.

Featuring meetings with No. 1 Virginia, No. 8 Duke, No. 15 Wake Forest, No. 20 Florida State and No. 21 N.C. State, the conference calendar will make for a tough midseason stretch as the Tar Heels look to book another trip to the NCAA Championship. 

@moiramartin010

@dthsportssports@dailytarheel.com