Analysis: Two takeaways from UNC baseball media day

Lewis-0922-baseball-97.jpg
Junior Patrick Alverez (8) at bat during UNC baseball's fall exhibition game against Walters State on Sept. 22, 2023 at Boshamer Stadium.

The preseason excitement around the UNC baseball clubhouse is almost palpable — and for good reason.

Slated at No. 15 in the preseason rankings, North Carolina boasts a first-year recruiting class rated No. 3 in the nation according to D1Baseball. Paired with veteran leadership, a brand new pitching lab and last year’s ACC Defensive Player of the Year, UNC has all the makings of an Omaha-destined lineup. 

“Talent is talent," head coach Scott Forbes said. "And when you see it you know it."

The Diamond Heels are looking to move past their shortcomings in last year’s NCAA regional. After reaching the tournament for a third consecutive time since Forbes’ installment as head coach, a shorthanded lineup led to a season-ending 13-inning elimination game against the Iowa Hawkeyes. 

This year, reaching a regional series is the bare minimum. With eyes on North Carolina’s first trip back to the College World Series since 2018, Forbes and his staff believe that playing in a regional this season is a given. 

With the first pitch in less than three weeks, here are the main takeaways from UNC’s media day with Forbes and company. 

Start ‘em young

Dominating Thursday’s press conference were questions about this season’s recruiting class. Headlining the talented group is catcher Luke Stevenson — who comes in as the team's day-one starter behind the dish. 

Stevenson already amassed respect from his teammates, as his arm strength and defensive skill far surpass his age. By bringing in graduate catcher Parker Haskin as a backup to mentor Stevenson, the rookie can only improve.

“I know [Haskin] has helped him [Stevenson] out a ton, and [Stevenson] is an ultra-talented kid, good kid, fun to be around, so I’m excited to see what he does this year,” senior pitcher Jake Knapp said. 

Along with the catcher came a slew of first-year pitchers that should bolster the team’s bullpen. Right-handers Jason DeCaro and Boston Flannery, as well as lefty Folger Boaz, could fit into the midweek rotation. All three guys command a mid-90’s fastball and impressed teammates like Knapp since their arrival. 

The Diamond Heels will have a leg up in crafting their young arms thanks to the brand new pitching lab constructed this fall.

The lab, which Forbes claimed to be one of the best in the country, has an array of new tech: slow motion cameras, force plates and analytical models that measure metrics like spin rate or induced vertical break. 

However, when it comes to the most accurate measurements for his first-year pitchers, Forbes said in-game experience will be the true test. 

“If they are throwing well enough in the preseason and if they earn it, you just throw them in the fire because you never really know until they’re out there," Forbes said.  

Defensive versatility

To back up UNC's pitching will be a variety of combinations across the infield — but past the dirt, junior centerfielder Vance Honeycutt will anchor the outfield. 

Honeycutt, who was last season's ACC Defensive Player of the Year, missed the final 10 games of UNC’s postseason because of a back injury. Now fully healthy, Honeycutt looks to enjoy what is likely his last year in Carolina Blue. 

“Whenever you look at it in the sense of ‘this could be your last shot,' you wanna soak it all in and not miss a day," Honeycutt said. 

In the infield, senior transfer Alex Madera commands the shortstop position while the rest of the diamond seems to be up for competition. Forbes rattled off a short list of names that could rotate between the corners, conveying he knew what nine guys would make the lineup card but not exactly where they would play. 

It’s likely that first base, third base and left field are still up for contention — but Forbes sees this indecision as a good thing. He thinks the tough competition for a starting role speaks volumes about the team’s versatility, and with a season as long as baseball’s it’s a valuable trait. Hence why the head coach chose "stay with the process" to be the team’s motto for the season. 

“[We are] focused on our guys and getting them ready to go with it,” Forbes said. “[We must] understand that we’re going to have some ebbs and flows — [but] have a short memory.” 

@cadeshoemaker23

@dthsports l sports@dailytarheel.com