No. 20 UNC women's basketball pulls away from Virginia late in 81-68 home win

20230114_richards_WBB-vs-UVA-434.jpg

UNC sophomore guard Indya Nivar (24) dribbles the ball during the Sunday, Jan. 14, 2024 game against the University of Virginia in Carmichael Arena.

The No. 20 North Carolina women’s basketball team (12-5, 4-1 ACC) topped Virginia (8-8, 0-5 ACC) at home on Sunday, 81-68.

Senior forward Alyssa Ustby and senior guard Deja Kelly combined for 44 of the Tar Heels' points in the close victory against UVA. North Carolina’s offensive scoring droughts allowed Virginia to tie the game late, but UNC’s 10 rebounds in the fourth helped seal the win. 

In the first quarter, Ustby found Kelly on the left wing for the first points of the game. Ustby continued to orchestrate a fast-paced offense that scored nine points and only allowed UVA to put two on the board.

Defensively, North Carolina was quick to close out on UVA’s shooters, forcing them off the line and causing turnovers inside the paint. Quick transition buckets and ball movement led to the Tar Heels seven-point lead as the quarter ended, 19-12. 

The offense continued to create space for UNC guards in the second quarter. On a possession where all five players touched the ball, the Cavalier defense became clogged inside, leaving Kelly wide open to convert on a short corner jumper. 

“It really just came from settling in with the ball and finding open players,” Ustby said. “I just have so many great teammates that I get to play with and I'm so grateful for each and every one of them because they're just so darn good at basketball so it makes my job so easy.” 

The Tar Heels held what seemed to be a steady 12-point lead with three minutes to go in the quarter. However, Virginia’s sudden burst of energy and seven unanswered points cut the North Carolina lead to only five by halftime.

Kelly got it done on both ends in the third quarter, scoring nine points. She stripped the ball from UVA and got around Virginia forward Camryn Taylor with a euro step, laying it off the glass for two.

Tied at 52 apiece, Ustby went 1-2 from the free throw line, putting North Carolina up only one heading into the fourth quarter.

After the third quarter, head coach Courtney Banghart knew that her team had the ability to push through adversity and work together for the win. 

“I told them in the locker room, there's an enormous amount of trust in this locker room and in this huddle,” Banghart said. “They show great toughness, and so it’s just not rattled by things like that.”

Coming off the bench for UNC, senior forward Anya Poole grabbed four boards in the fourth quarter, helping prevent extra possessions for Virginia. Kelly and Ustby continued to find the basket, helping to close out the victory. 

Three of the team's four seniors — Poole, Ustby and Kelly — had a big impact in the win. Banghart believes that with time her players continue to improve and it has consistently shown on the court. 

“Experience goes a long way,” Banghart said. “We all know that in this life. I'm a better basketball coach than I was when I first got into this stuff 20 years ago. And so there's an element these guys understand, they don't get too up or down. It's about the next thing. So I feel very comfortable and I'm not surprised that those three were so huge to what we did today.”

The Tar Heels will travel south to face the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Thursday at 6 p.m.

@mayawaid

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com