Dulcie Murdock Straughan, Hussman professor of more than 25 years, passes away

contrib-university-dulcie-murdock-straughan-obituary.jpg
Photo Courtesy of UNC Hussman.

To her friend Lois Boynton, a fellow associate professor at the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media, Dulcie Murdock Straughan was best known for her "infectious smile and warm laugh."

Straughan, a professor at the journalism school for 26 years, passed away on Dec. 30 after a battle with an extended illness. She is survived by her husband, Chris Straughan, and her children, Dani and David.

“She was a major contributor to our school’s success, quietly sharing her expertise as a teacher, researcher and administrator,” Boynton said in an email statement to The Daily Tar Heel.

After earning both bachelor's and master's degrees from Virginia Commonwealth University, Straughan completed her Ph.D. in journalism and mass communication research at the Hussman School in 1987. As a visiting professor, she taught in the public relations sequence before becoming a full-time member of the faculty in 1990. Straughan also served in the roles of associate and senior associate dean of undergraduate studies and was interim dean of the Hussman School in 2011. She remained a full-time professor until her retirement in 2016.

Boynton said there was an “outpouring of condolences” from alumni across the country who knew Straughan.

Jo Bass, retired administrative assistant to multiple deans, worked for Straughan while the she served as interim dean. Bass said that Straughan remained calm during times of transition.

“She didn’t get flustered,” Bass said. “A situation would present itself, and she would very calmly analyze it and figure out who was the best person to solve the problem or what direction we should take.”

Bass also said that students were “always raving" about classes taught by Straughan.

Lynn Wareh Coles experienced Straughan’s mentorship as a graduate student while she pursued her master’s degree. Coles said Straughan encouraged her to work on a marketing project for United Way after learning that Coles had an interest in nonprofit organizations. She said the experience led her to becoming the executive director of the Orange County Volunteer Center.

“Master’s students are kind of odd,” Coles said. “They’re all different ages, and they all came from somewhere else, and they’re all doing different things and they all want to use what they’re learning in the program in different ways. She was cool with all of that — extremely welcoming and warm.”

Class of 2010 graduate Garrett Boorojian, who was mentored by Straughan, said that her belief in him helped him succeed in college and as a professional.

“If Dr. Straughan had not been part of the journalism school at that point in my academic career, I would not be here today,” Boorojian, who now hosts a podcast for WaveCapital Partnerssaid. “I would not be here today without her leadership and guidance making a difference in my life.”

A memorial service to honor Straughan will be held later this spring. 

“She was a great mentor, colleague and friend to me,” Boynton said. “I will miss her.”

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com