Senior Bucket List: Tar Heel traditions to take part in before graduation

20230419_Wilder_BellTower-1.jpg
Seniors, who arrived around 7 a.m., wait at the front of the line to climb the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower on Wednesday, April 19, 2023.

As seniors head back to campus for their last semester of studies, many are looking forward to participating in annual senior traditions to commemorate their time at UNC. Among these traditions are climbing the Bell Tower, playing “bar golf” and attending a "Last Lecture."

UNC senior Ritu Dutta said she hopes these events will help her celebrate the connections she has made here.

“It reemphasizes the importance of the community that we’ve built over these four years,” she said. “We’re graduating with a degree, but at the end of the day, we’re also graduating with people who we’ve made memories with.” 

Bell Tower Climb 

Since 2003, seniors have climbed 128 steps to the top of the Bell Tower during Senior Week. Traditionally, students have been able to sign their names on the bricks inside the tower, but last year the General Alumni Association prohibited seniors from doing so to preserve the “structural integrity” of the historic building. 

Lauryn Lovett, the senior class president, said that although students may no longer be able to sign the tower, seniors will have the option to sign a book that will then be compiled digitally and sent to students — an alternative that was implemented last year. 

“I think it was cute having something physical to sign your name on versus just climbing the Bell Tower, not being able to sign anything,” Lovett said

Michael Belanger, who graduated from UNC in 2020, was unable to climb the bell tower because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He said he would have wanted to take part in the climb with his friends and encouraged current seniors to do so. 

“If you have the opportunity to have at least one or two people that want to do it with you, my advice would be to do it,” Belanger said

Bar Golf 

As a part of Senior Week, seniors sport their best golfing attire for a final visit to Chapel Hill’s most popular bars before they don caps and gowns. 

By visiting several popular downtown bars in one night, seniors drink to compete in a game of bar golf. Each bar has drinks and rules that represent a certain number of points and students aim to keep their scores low. Non-senior students known as “caddies” help seniors finish their drinks if they can't finish the challenge on their own.

While many other Senior Week events are run by the General Alumni Association, this tradition is run entirely by seniors. Lovett said this can be beneficial to students by enabling them to create their own activities.

“I think it’s something different when you have people who are also in your year planning these things, because they know more about what you want,” Lovett said

For seniors who are worried about whether or not this tradition will live on to see another year, Lovett said it absolutely will be happening in 2024.

Last Lecture 

The idea of attending a Last Lecture was popularized in 2007 when professor Randy Pausch gave a Last Lecture speech to students at Carnegie Mellon University. The General Alumni Association decided to carry on the tradition by allowing seniors to select a faculty member who will give an informal speech to the class before commencement at varying locations.

The selected speaker aims to share life lessons and reflections with the senior class as though it is their last lecture ever. Students are encouraged to bring their blankets, lawn chairs and questions.

“Everybody enjoys Last Lecture,” Lovett said. “Finding out who people want to hear speak to us for the last time before we leave is cute.” 

Keeping Traditions Alive 

In addition to participating in campus-wide traditions, seniors often create their own events in celebration of their final days at the University. Belanger said his advice to seniors heading into their last semester is to take advantage of walking around campus, eating on Franklin Street and visiting the football stadium. 

“This is the last chance to get in the last sights, the last experiences before you graduate and leave campus,” he said

Dutta said she thinks senior-centered events are a strong way to end four years at UNC.

“I look forward to all of [the senior events],” she said. “Any opportunity that will give me a chance to make some lasting memories with my friends.” 

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com