Beth Miller honored for 41 years of service to UNC athletics

UNC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
Beth Miller is pictured at her lobby dedication ceremony on Sunday, Jan. 21, 2024 in Carmichael Arena. Photo Courtesy of UNC Athletics.

Beth Miller might know the rules of volleyball better than the officials themselves. 

One year, the then-head coach of UNC volleyball called a timeout late in the state championship game against N.C. State. One catch — Miller knew she didn't have any timeouts left to give. But she also knew that she would only get a warning for her actions.

As the officials scoured through the rulebook, looking for the protocol for such a situation, Miller got her team together and regrouped. 

UNC went on to win the championship thanks to Miller’s knowledge of the game. Ask any of her closest friends, and this moment is a testament to who she is. 

After dedicating 41 years of her life to North Carolina women's sports programs, the Carmichael Arena lobby will now bear Miller’s name forever. Serving as senior woman administrator, business manager and head coach of both volleyball and softball, Miller’s impact has been felt all over the UNC athletic department. 

Miller got a job in UNC’s physical education department after finishing her dissertation at Middle Tennessee State University. At that time, the department housed all of the women's sports teams at North Carolina.

In addition to teaching, Miller was assistant coach for both basketball and volleyball. When the volleyball head coach resigned to go into full-time teaching, Miller was promoted to head volleyball coach. 

“It was a sign to be able to do that," Miller said, "Because I had coached volleyball and basketball at that stage."

From there, Miller took on roles as senior woman administrator and business manager.

Described as a quiet force, Miller helped the campaign to make women’s sports at UNC officially recognized by the NCAA in 1982. She retired from her role as senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator in 2015. 

Miller’s former player, Donna Gutterman, said one of the most important lessons she learned from Miller is the importance of preparation. Gutterman said that Miller’s preparation taught her to always be equipped mentally, physically and every way in between. 

Gutterman also recalls Miller’s innovative coaching style. After being crushed by the volleyball powerhouse that was the Houston Cougars in 1975, Miller took a different approach in the locker room the following season. In an unprecedented move, she invited the head coach of Houston to come talk to the team.

“I mean, who would have thought of that?” Gutterman said. 

Today, Gutterman still respects Miller greatly. The only difference? She now calls her a friend.

When Gutterman was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma last year, Miller showed constant support. She offered to stay with Gutterman during chemotherapy treatments just to be a friendly face and help pass the time. 

“That's just the kind of person she is,” Gutterman said. 

So, when Gutterman was thinking of a way to honor her, the idea of naming the Carmichael Arena lobby after her was an easy decision to come to. 

“Watching all the sports at Carmichael and her walking through that lobby every day for nearly 30-plus years of her career, how could you not name the lobby for her?” she said. 

Gutterman announced the decision in a panel discussion with Miller, then-head coach for UNC volleyball Joe Sagula and the volleyball team. Miller said she was dumbfounded. 

“I never ever thought that anything would be named after me,” Miller said. 

Kim Jones, the director of signature events and premium seating at the Rams Club, said she tried to create a personal environment for Miller in the dedication ceremony. Martina Ballen, a close friend of the Miller family and human resources and chief financial officer for Carolina Athletics, gave the introduction speech. Sagula made a champagne toast. 

In addition to these speakers, Bill Cobey, John Swofford, Dick Baddour and Bubba Cunningham — the four UNC athletic directors under whom Miller worked — showed up in support. Attendees even sported jerseys with a 41 on the back, a nod to Miller’s 41 years of service at UNC. 

“So many of us feel this way about Dr. Miller,” Jones said. “And we just couldn't be more excited that her legacy is being honored in this very public and permanent way.”

@aplancaster_