UNC softball defeats George Washington, 10-1, in Carolina Classic

20240223_Skvoretz_UNC-Softball-Lipscomb-187.jpg
UNC first-year infielder Kate Bubela (59) runs to second base during the softball game against Lipscomb at Anderson Softball Stadium on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024. UNC won 12-4.

The North Carolina softball squad defeated George Washington, 10-1, on Saturday to extend its winning streak to six games.

The first three innings came with great success for the Tar Heels, as they tallied 10 runs. Backed by home runs from first-year infielder Kate Bubela in the first frame and one to center field by graduate catcher Autumn Owen in the second, UNC was able to earn seven runs off these two plays. Through this stretch, redshirt junior pitcher Britton Rogers dominated the mound for the Tar Heels. She allowed only one George Washington hit with zero runs. 

Senior pitcher Talia Hannappel took over on the mound in the top of the fourth inning. She followed the same pattern as Rogers, allowing only one hit and no runs. However, North Carolina found little success on the offensive side of the inning. It entered the fifth inning scoreless with only one hit in the bottom of the fourth frame.

George Washington got on the board in the top of the fifth inning as they got their first run on their only hit of the inning. However, the game ended in the middle of the fifth inning and the Tar Heels earned the 10-1 win.

Owen and Bubela both had great showings, hitting two home runs that gave the Tar Heels a significant scoring advantage early in the game. Both pitchers, Rogers and Hannappel, allowed a combined three hits. The Tar Heels had seven different players cross home plate in Saturday afternoon’s game, signaling the depth of their roster.

This game builds on the Tar Heels’ momentum they have produced over previous games. The team has demonstrated that the depth of its roster will be to its advantage when the team enters conference play.

@j_kidd03

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com