No. 6 UNC women's lacrosse routs Liberty Flames, 19-6, in home opener

Diehl_WLAX_Liberty_SELECTS-5.JPG
UNC and Liberty University fight for the ball during the game at Dorrance Field on Feb. 13, 2024. UNC defeated Liberty University 19-6.

The No. 6 UNC women’s lacrosse team (1-1) routed the Liberty Flames (0-2), 19-6, during the Tar Heels' season home opener on Tuesday evening. 

North Carolina gained control early in the game, with senior midfielder Alyssa Long scoring the game's first goal in 16 seconds. 

Graduate attacker Ashley Humphrey then connected with sophomore midfielder Darcy Felter from a free-position to put the Tar Heels up by two. 

Less than a minute later, North Carolina extended its lead after first-year attacker Eva Ingrilli had a good look inside and was successful with her shot. 

“I’ve definitely learned how to play with a lot of the girls and just figured out a way to learn how to play with their tendencies and mine and just mash it together,” Ingrilli said. 

After several saved shots by junior goalkeeper Alecia Nicholas, the Liberty’s Kelly Scott finally scored their first goal. 

UNC answered with three unresponded goals: Dirks went all the way off of a Liberty turnover, Humphrey was assisted by senior attacker Caitlyn Wurzburger in a close goal behind the back right side and redshirt junior attacker Reilly Casey found the net to close out the first quarter with UNC up 6-1. 

Dirks started the second quarter with a goal after a turnover by Liberty. This ignited another unresponded run with sophomore attacker Kylie Mottice scoring twice in two minutes.

Liberty’s Mackenzie Lehman scored with about a minute and a half left in the second quarter, but UNC was quick to respond. Felter threw a pass to first-year midfielder GraceAnn Leonard who got close to the net to score her second goal as a Tar Heel. 

North Carolina led 10-3 at halftime. 

Out of the locker room, UNC repeated their first possession control, with Casey’s pass to Wurzburger resulting in a goal in 56 seconds. 

Liberty scored again, but North Carolina relied on their draw control to quickly rebound. In less than a minute, Godine had back-to-back scores, assisted by Felter and Casey.

Liberty’s last goal was in the last 20 seconds of the third quarter, as UNC dominated the final quarter and added four more points. 

Felter scored the final three goals of the night, one of which was assisted by Mottice and the other was assisted by Humphrey. Fleter had a career night with her four goals and six points. 

Liberty played an aggressive game, with several of their players acquiring yellow cards, and caused UNC to turn the ball over more than they would have liked. 

“They’re scrappy and tough and relentless,” head coach Jenny Levy said. “It challenged us in a little different ways. I thought we got a little lazy and a little casual sometimes.” 

Humphrey echoed Levy saying that the team needs to focus on limiting the turnovers going forward, especially as they prepare for another big game. 

UNC will return to Dorrance Field this Saturday at 11 a.m. to host the No. 12 Florida Gators.  

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com