OCS Board of Education discusses improvement projects, after-school program

8-20-22_LeBaron_CHCCS-BOE-meeting-coverage-5.jpg
The crowd applauds a speaker at the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education meeting at the Southern Human Services Center on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2022.

The Orange County Schools Board of Education met on March 18 to discuss its Bond and Capital Project Recommendations, plans for the after-school program and the end-of-year testing and re-teaching plan. 

What's new?

• The Board recognized Xavier Adams, a teacher at Orange High School, for being honored by Gov. Roy Cooper for his work as an African American educator in North Carolina.
    • “I’ve worked in this school district for four years — it’s been four of the best years of my life,” Adams said. “I’ve been truly grateful to be able to work with the families, the students and the community.”
  • Chief Operations Officer Dwayne Foster, Director of Maintenance Henry McKee, Capital and Facilities Director Patrick Florence and Chris Whitley of the Cumming Group presented Bond and Capital Projects recommendations. 
    • They recommended that the district use funding they’ve received to complete school improvement projects, including the creation of a new elementary school to replace one of OCS’s oldest elementary facilities. 
    • “Financially, we take the $49.5 million that we have to build the 600-student elementary school and we believe that the remaining funds will help us to address the high priority needs in educational adequacy at the other schools and facilities,” Foster said. 
    • Board members said it was important to communicate with voters about the projects and maintain transparency.
      • “I just think communicating that whole portfolio is important so folks understand it's not just the more key projects that are getting done, there's actually a whole bunch of other work that's going to be done too,” board member Sarah Smylie said. 
  • Chris Gammon, the executive director of curriculum and instruction, presented a proposal recommending that OCS outsources the after-school program to the YMCA of the Triangle for the 2024-25 school year. 
    • The rationale for outsourcing includes challenges staffing the after-school program, high debt levels and past-due accounts, Gammon said. 
    • Gammon said that upon Board approval, next steps include mapping out logistical elements with the YMCA, including conducting formal agreement between the groups. 
    • Board members raised concerns about how outsourcing the program would impact the compensation and benefit for current employees.
      • Gammon confirmed that OCS staff would have priority in jobs for the YMCA after-school program.
  • Chief Academic Officer Denise Greene presented the End-of-Year/Class/Grade re-teaching and re-administration plan, which would provide opportunities for students to receive additional instruction in subjects where mastery was not demonstrated and allow them to retake the exam following remediation. 
  • Rhonda Rath, the district’s chief finance officer, presented Superintendent Danielle Jones recommended local operating budget for the 2025 fiscal year.
    • At the board’s next meeting on April 8, there will be a public hearing for community members to make comments regarding the recommended budget, Rath said. 

What decisions were made?

• The Board voted unanimously to approve the presented recommendations for a new elementary school and other related Bond and Capital school improvement projects.
  • The Board voted unanimously to approve the after-school outsourcing plan. 
  • The Board voted unanimously to approve the EOY/EOC/EOG re-teaching and administration plan. 
  • The Board approved a proposal that would keep 2024-25 school fees the same as the previous year. 

What's next?

• The Board’s next meeting will be April 8 in the Whitted Human Services Building in Hillsborough.