Today is primary election day. Here's what to know before you vote

Lewis-110723-7.jpg
Voting booths await voters inside First Baptist Church on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023.

March 5 is primary election day for federal, state and county offices, as well as the Board of Education election for Orange County Schools and Orange County Board of County Commissioners.

Voters can see the list of filed candidates and preview ballots on the Orange County Board of Elections website. Questions about voting can be answered by texting the county's election support line at (919) 246-8773.

Here’s everything you need to know before voting in the primaries tomorrow:

Voter ID

Voters must bring a physical copy of a valid photo ID. Standard physical forms of ID will be accepted — including driver’s licenses and passports, as well as student ID cards like UNC One Cards. No digital versions of student IDs will be permitted.

Polling sites

All voters must report to their designated precinct and generally cannot vote outside of their assigned polling place. The state's Voter Search Tool can be used to find polling locations and verify registration status. If you arrive at the incorrect polling place, you may cast a provisional ballot, which will be counted if the voter is determined to be eligible.

Polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. As long as a voter is in line by 7:30 they will be permitted to vote. Sites closet to UNC's campus are Holy Trinity Lutheran Church and the UNC Stone Center. All UNC students registered on campus are assigned to vote at the Stone Center.

Registration

Voters registered in affiliation with a party must vote in that party's primary, and unaffiliated voters may vote for any of the Republican, Democrat or Libertarian primaries. Unaffiliated voters may also choose either a party’s ballot or a non-partisan ballot.

If a voter’s registration cannot be confirmed at their polling site, they may cast a provisional ballot.

Looking forward

Primary election results may be tabulated and released slightly later this year due to election law changes passed in Senate Bill 747. Results could be delayed from anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours after polls close.

The 2024 general election will be on Tuesday, Nov. 5.