Local farmers discuss importance of regenerative agriculture to address climate change

20240305_Rhyne_cityregenerativeagriculture-3.jpg
The Center for Regenerative Agriculture pictured in Hillsborough, NC as a part of Union Grove Farm.

As the Triangle experiences the effects of climate change and continues to lose much of its farmland to development, some local farmers are turning to regenerative agriculture to remain sustainable.

Regenerative agriculture consists of farming and grazing practices that aim to reverse the effects of climate change by rejuvenating organic matter in soil, increasing biodiversity and sequestering carbon.

Heather Szaro is the farm manager at Triangle Land Conservancy, a land trust in the Triangle area. She said, while "regenerative agriculture" is a new phrase, the concept and practices are not new.

Szaro said some farmers — including Indigenous people — were using sustainable practices even before the Green Revolution in the mid-20th century.

“Before that, people were paying attention to what the earth was saying,” Szaro said.

Union Grove Farm in Chapel Hill is a model of what regenerative farming and grazing practices can look like as the farm does not use herbicides, pesticides or chemical fertilizers.

Farmer Dane Jensen from Union Grove Farm works closely with the sheep on the farm and rotates them around the fields to mimic the natural migration patterns of grazing animals. Jensen moves them every one to three days to prevent overgrazing and evenly distribute their manure.

The sheep offset their own costs through their environmental efficiency — as well as money from meat sales — and the reduction of fossil fuels emissions from tractor mowing.

Jensen said the farm also utilizes vermiculture — a process in which small worms turn compost and food waste into nutrient-rich soil. Union Grove collects most of the food waste from Cedar Ridge High School and local households. The worms go through about 40 to 50 pounds of food waste per week.

Union Grove Farm owns the Center for Regenerative Agriculture, an agritourism event center. Livestock and compost specialist Collin Mallet said the purpose of the CRA is to host educational events, give tours of the farm and teach the community about their work. Union Grove Farm founder and CEO Greg Bohlen, a fifth generation farmer from Illinois, says the CRA is focused on helping other farmers transition into regenerative agriculture.

“It’s our hope that North Carolina will become one of the leaders in regenerative agriculture,”  Bohlen said.

Kierra Hyman is the good ground manager at TLC. She said TLC works closely with many partners in the state who strongly believe in land ethics and regenerative practices. Hyman said it is nice to see younger people getting involved with these practices.

Hyman said there seems to be camaraderie among communities that are implementing such sustainable farming practices. 

"I've actually seen it be stressed, the importance of being prepared for climate change and being able to adjust to the reality that the way that people were farming 20 years ago, 50 years ago, hundreds of years ago is definitely not going to be as viable as we go into the future where the rainfall is kind of inconsistent," Hyman said.

Szaro said that farmland loss is at an all time high.

In the past nine years, Wake County has lost nearly 20 percent of its farm and forest land. As enormous amounts of development unfold across North Carolina, community support of agriculture, as well as an understanding of the importance of quality food is essential, she said.

The success of this regenerative farm movement will not work without community support, Szaro said. Hyman said, in her experience, everyone has a shared commitment to the earth and to the community.

"When you have community that supports agriculture, people are able to understand the importance of food, where it comes from and also just appreciate it as well," Szaro said. "Which I think is extremely important to be able to respect the land, respect the farmers and respect what they're putting into their bodies."