'Incredible atmosphere': UNC ties for third at ACC's first gymnastics championships since 1984

20240308_Joshi_gymnastics-vs-Kentucky

UNC junior Isabelle Schaefer celebrates with her teammates after her bar routine at Carmichael Arena on Friday, March 8, 2024. UNC lost to Kentucky 197.800 to 196.525.

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Just by chance, James and Suzanna Mullins saw an advertisement for women’s gymnastics on the ACC Network.

Neither had much connection to gymnastics prior, besides watching the Olympics. But they watched an N.C. State quad-meet and learned UNC has a team, too.

All that stood between them and UNC’s next meet was an hours-long drive from Carteret County to Carmichael Arena. But, the Mullins wanted a family outing and Suzanna is a UNC alum, so why not?

“Even though UNC didn’t win, both teams did so well,” James Mullins said. “What I found with gymnastics is it’s hard not to cheer for every one of them because no matter what team you're on, everyone is so talented.”

So on Saturday, the Mullins made another trek — a roughly 241-mile drive to the Greensboro Coliseum, the same coliseum that has hosted everything from ACC men’s and women’s basketball tournaments to Elvis Presley concerts. This time, "Tournament Town" hosted the first ACC women’s gymnastics championship since 1984. Again, UNC did not win, tying for third place as N.C. State took the crown.

Still, to observers and Tar Heels on the floor alike, Saturday had the feel of a true spectacle.

“Overall, absolutely incredible atmosphere,” UNC assistant coach Marie Denick said. “The crowd here was amazing, and just the overall presentation of everything has really been top notch.”

Last year, Tiffany Lynch flew to Boston and drove into New Hampshire to see their daughter, sophomore Paige Prejean, at the 2023 East Atlantic Gymnastics League championship. UNC left the EAGL to join the ACC. 

20230224_Tran-womens-gymnastics-1.jpg
Freshman Paige Prejean competes on the vault during UNC gymnastics home meet against Temple University at Carmichael Arena on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023. UNC beat Temple University 195.625 to 194.950.

But, Lynch said there was hardly anyone there. Not unusual for Prejean, who was the only gymnast on their club team before college.

Now, in the ACC, Prejean’s family in Houston can watch meets on the ACC Network. One of their professors, Dwayne Dixon, brought his family to UNC’s last home meet. 

And on Saturday, Prejean beat their chest to the UNC fans while running back from their 9.775 vault routine. From performing in front of hardly anyone to 5,092 fans in Greensboro — in Lynch’s words, it was huge.

“Everybody's fired up,” Lynch said. “It's just exciting for them to be in this atmosphere and to have everybody cheering them on.”

Arguably, though, it was not the Tar Heels who brought the most noise. Next to the lakes of UNC fans where Lynch sat, a sea of Clemson orange almost entirely engulfed section 109 of the stadium. 

It was the Tigers adding women’s gymnastics which gave the ACC the four teams it needed to sponsor the sport. This season, Clemson sold out each of its home ACC meets in the over 9,000-seat Littlejohn Coliseum. 

Even the music at the ACC Championship had Tiger footprints, as it was mixed by DJ Sha, who jockeys at Clemson football and basketball games. While watching floor routines, UNC senior Jamie Shearer and first-year Camryn Rueda could not help but dance to DJ Sha’s remix of Rihanna’s “Rude Boy.”

Sydney Snead knows a thing or two about atmosphere. She used to compete for current UNC head coach Danna Durante at Georgia in the SEC, which boasts more top-25 teams than any conference.

Snead, who works on ESPN’s broadcast team, said SEC Championship meets were the rowdiest she competed in. To her, Saturday was a comparable atmosphere.

“We're in a huge arena, we're on [an elevated] podium,” Snead said. “It's what postseason is all about, right?”

The impact of a well-produced ACC Championship goes beyond amazement. Denick said being in the ACC is more relatable and exciting for potential recruits. The same goes for young local gymnasts: many young girls lined the first row of seats reaching for high fives as the Tar Heels circled around the arena. 

Some girls who came to the Coliseum were from Southeastern Gymnastics, the former club of junior Lali Dekanoidze. Dekanoidze won the bars title with a 9.950 score on Saturday.

“I just hope that I can inspire them to want to do college gymnastics," she said, "and it just makes me want to keep getting better.”

@dmtwumasi

@DTHSports | sports@dailytarheel.com