UNC Hip Hop Ensemble encourages collaboration, creative freedom

20240220_Ali_University-Beat-Lab-Feature-2.jpg
A student uses a Pioneer DJ Mixer inside the Beat Lab in Hill Hall on Tuesday, February 20, 2024.

UNC junior Quincy Griffin made his first beat at just 10 years old. As the son of a rapper and producer, Griffin gained a musical foundation throughout his teens — but it wasn’t until he got to college that he began to take music more seriously.

Last semester, Griffin joined the UNC Hip Hop Ensemble, UNC’s first performance ensemble dedicated to hip-hop’s cultural traditions and global impact. The ensemble is a class offered through the UNC Department of Music and it meets once a week on Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m.

“It was a new experience for me because I’ve never been part of a music group,” Griffin said. “I’ve always been making beats on my own.”

Senior Donavan Moonie said his experiences with the ensemble have pushed him towards collaboration, rather than competition.

“When you’re on a team, you’re collaborating with everybody on the team,” he said. “You’re not trying to compete with everybody on the team. The point is to make everybody better around you and lift each other up.” 

UNC Hip Hop Ensemble students are supported by the ensemble's founding music director, Teaching Assistant Professor Suzi Analogue. They wrote in an email that their role as music director is to guide the group through their songwriting process. 

“She knows a lot about music and hip-hop and where we should be going,” sophomore Justin Jenkins said. “So it’s good to have that voice in the room while we’re still expressing our creative freedom.” 

Analogue wrote that sessions vary from analyzing videos of great hip-hop performances to selecting beats and running songwriting sessions. 

Junior K’mani Leonerio said that one of the first things that each member of the ensemble does each semester is share a performance that struck them and discuss what aspects of that performance the group might want to emulate.

“From there, we choose some beats from the producers, the instrumentalists will kind of add on to it or play something from the beat, and then the rappers will get together and have an idea or direction that we want to write about,” he said. “And it all just kinda gels together over the course of the semester.” 

Jenkins said that being a part of the class has made him a more versatile artist by exposing him to things he wouldn’t usually hear. He said that having a time each week to devote to music has helped him to hone his craft.

Griffin said that being a part of the ensemble has led to his growth as a musician.

“I feel like I understand music in general better,” he said. “So I know, 'Well, I can add something to make it sound more lively, make it not sound as empty and make it sound like it has life to it.' That’s something that’s definitely grown on us throughout the ensemble.” 

Analogue wrote that many people have more experience with hip-hop than they may realize due to its prevalence at this point in music history, but are not always able to interact with it. She encouraged any students with an interest in the genre to join the ensemble. 

The class can be taken for one credit hour, and is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of their major or musical background.  

“We’re all trying to grow,” Moonie said. “We're all trying to do our thing. We’re all trying to get better, but we’re also a community — we found each other in that place.” 

UNC Hip Hop Ensemble is currently finalizing the mixes for an EP and rehearsing for their upcoming performance in April. Information about the ensemble can be found on their Instagram.

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com