Preview: Breaking down UNC's path through the 2024 Ally ACC Women's Basketball Tournament

20220304_Wilder_WBasketballACC-97.jpg
UNC sophomore guard Deja Kelly (25) attempts to surpass an offender for a layup during the quarterfinals of the ACC Women's Basketball Tournament against Virginia Tech at the Greensboro Coliseum. Virginia Tech won 87-80 in overtime.

After an upset victory over No. 13 Louisville on Jan. 21, the North Carolina women’s basketball team found itself in first place in the ACC. The Tar Heels started their ACC schedule 7-1, their best start in conference play since 2013.

But then they lost four games in a row, including back-to-back overtime defeats to rivals Virginia Tech and Duke. After the great start over the first eight conference games, UNC went 4-6 to finish the regular season, slotting it as the No. 8 seed in this week’s ACC Tournament in Greensboro. 

Despite their less-than-stellar finish to the season, ESPN bracketology expert Charlie Creme has the Tar Heels comfortably in the field of 68 as a No. 6 seed. UNC beat Duke at home on the final day of the regular season and will look to carry that momentum to Greensboro. If the Tar Heels string together a couple of victories, they would likely improve their seeding heading into the NCAA Tournament.

Here’s a look at North Carolina’s path:

Miami

UNC will open the ACC tournament on Thursday against the ninth-seeded Hurricanes at 1:30 p.m.  

The Tar Heels beat Miami in the teams’ only regular-season meeting, 66-61, on Jan. 25 in Chapel Hill. UNC led by as many as 19 in the second quarter and by 13 entering the fourth. The Hurricanes fought back and made it interesting down the stretch, cutting the lead to one with under a minute to play, before Deja Kelly sealed the game with four made free throws. 

The Hurricanes are second in the conference in opponent points per game and shoot the fourth-highest percentage from 3-point range at 33 percent. Shayeann Day-Wilson leads the team with 52 made 3-pointers on the season and made five of Miami's 12 shots from distance against the Tar Heels in January. Those 12 3-pointers were the most allowed by North Carolina all season. A key for UNC on Thursday will be running Day-Wilson and her teammates off the 3-point line.

Virginia Tech

If UNC gets past Miami, it will face the top-seeded Hokies on Friday in the quarterfinals. Virginia Tech won both regular-season matchups, including a 12-point victory in the most recent contest.  

The 23-6 Hokies are the best shooting team in the conference. They shoot 46 percent from the field, 36 percent from three and 78 percent from the line: all ACC-best marks.

The Tar Heels will have to slow down the dynamic duo of Elizabeth Kitley and Georgia Amoore, something they were not able to do in the regular season. Amoore posted double-doubles in both games, with 40 points and 22 assists combined. Kitley scored 15 and grabbed 15 boards in the first game and exploded for 34 points in the second matchup. Kitley averages 22.8 points per game, and Amoore leads the ACC in assists, dishing out 7.3 per contest.

Semifinals and Final

No. 4 seed Notre Dame or No. 5 seed Louisville would be the likely matchup for UNC in the semifinals. That might be favorable, as the Tar Heels beat the Cardinals in Chapel Hill and the Irish in South Bend. No. 2 seed N.C. State, who UNC knocked off at home in late February, looms large on the other side of the bracket.

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com