Search committee for UNC's next permanent chancellor holds first meeting

Diehl_DTH_BOG-1.JPG
UNC Board of Governors Chair Randall Ramsey and President Peter Hans converse during a Board of Governors meeting on Sept. 22, 2022.

In the chancellor search committee's first meeting on Thursday, UNC System President Peter Hans said the committee's goal is to select the permanent chancellor by the end of the calendar year.

The committee, chaired by the Executive Dean of the School of Medicine Cristy Page, will be meeting throughout the coming months to discuss and select chancellor candidates. The committee consists of a range of University leaders, including Faculty Chair Beth Moracco, current Student Body President Christopher Everett and John Preyer, the chair of the UNC Board of Trustees.

“President Hans has named an eager and excellent committee who love this University and love this state,” Page said in an interview with The Daily Tar Heel.

The committee will also hire an executive search firm to aid the process. The search firm will help the committee build a leadership profile and collect outside stakeholder input by facilitating listening sessions with students and faculty on campus.

Hans delivered the committee's charge, stressing the importance of all committee members' involvement. He named the qualities he believes best suits UNC’s next chancellor, including intellectual humility and comfort with public scrutiny. Hans said the committee will keep an open mind for candidates' ideas but wants the chancellor to share the committee's visions.

“Now that’s quite a lot to ask of any one person, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask on behalf of this vitally important institution,” Hans said.

Committee members reviewed a conflict-of-interest statement and signed a confidentiality agreement to ensure the integrity of the search. Each meeting involving the entire committee will open and available to the public. However, for confidentiality reasons, a large part of the committee's business will be conducted in closed sessions, including candidate interviews, David Lambeth, legal counsel to the committee, said.

“We will roll out the exact plan of what happens after we narrow it down to a small group of people,” Page said.

All communication about the process will be communicated through Page, who will serve as the sole spokesperson for the committee, Hans said. The committee plans to gather stakeholder input — faculty and students — through monitored listening sessions and various surveys, aimed at learning what skills, qualities and behaviors an ideal chancellor would have, Page said.

“So many people care deeply about the future of our University and it's important that we hear from everyone,” Page said.

Hans voiced his concern about having “enough avenues for participation” from stakeholders but Anita Brown-Graham, special adviser to the committee, told him that she thought these strategies would work in the short term until the search firm is consulted during the committee's next meeting.

The next committee meeting will be on April 16 at 2 p.m. where a search firm will be introduced, and the next steps will be discussed in greater detail.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

More in University

More in UNC system

More in Faculty

More in Peter Hans