UNC men's fencing champions underdog mentality, wins first ACC Championship since 1980

20240210_Skvoretz_UNC-FENCING-Tar-Heel-Duals-234.jpg
UNC senior epee/right-hand Jack Kambeseles congratulates freshman epee/right-hand Boris Muga for his match win during the second annual Tar Heel Duals in the Eddie-Smith Fieldhouse on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024.

The UNC men’s fencing team was an underdog at the ACC Championships. It's a role the team played played gladly.

At the individual ACC Championships on Feb. 24, no fencer from the men’s team placed on the podium in any weapon. In the end-of-day debrief, head coach Matt Jednak told the team they needed to be more prepared the next day. Jednak said the team normally disperses after these debriefs. But sophomore saber Nicky Wind kept the Tar Heels in the huddle. 

Wind told the team they had an opportunity to do something great. Sophomore saber Elden Wood said Wind sounded like Herb Brooks from “Miracle” — a movie based on the U.S. hockey team’s 1980 Olympics upset of the Soviet Union — the way he kept repeating “tonight.” That repetition stuck out to Wood. It signaled that UNC could change its fate. 

"I could tell after we broke down again — just the fencers — there was a different energy," Wood said.

Facing a Notre Dame men’s team on Feb. 25 who is the two-time reigning champion of the ACC Championships, the Tar Heels didn’t sulk after setbacks — the team’s collective mindset wouldn’t allow it. It powered UNC to its first men’s fencing ACC title since 1980.

“Everyone bought into that mentality,” Wood said.

UNC and Notre Dame beat Duke and Boston College, so the match between the Tar Heels and the Irish was the title decider. Even as the underdog to the top-seeded Irish, UNC stayed committed to its new energy.

After Wind lost his first bout against the Fighting Irish, he saw Wood sitting down. Wind had told each weapon group to stand and give high fives or applause after each fencer’s bout — win or loss. So even after his own defeat, Wind called Wood out.

When UNC fell down 7-4 to Notre Dame, the team's energy didn’t. On the contrary, as soon as a few points went UNC’s way, the Tar Heels were screaming and cheering. The Irish, meanwhile, had gone quiet.

“We were always the loudest ones in the room,” first-year épée Boris Muga said. “You always heard 'UNC' — you heard ‘Tar Heels.’ And I think that was a big game-changer.”

Muga, who was named the men’s Most Valuable Fencer of the ACC Championships, was down 2-1 in his second bout with 20 seconds left. Losing his first bout had zapped his energy, but then he heard Jednak say, “Keep those legs moving. Keep that tip on target.”

Muga usually hears that, but this time it hit differently. He looked at the score — UNC was coming back. He looked at Jednak’s face. It was full of hope.

“He saw something that we may not have seen at the time," Muga said. "[He saw] that we really could win this."

A different energy came upon Muga. He tied the bout at 2-2 with a couple seconds left, then won it in sudden death. With that win, North Carolina tied the score and went on to beat the Fighting Irish 17-10.

Understandably, the Tar Heels were excited. But they wouldn’t let excitement distract them.

Wood saw Jednak counting the wins and losses UNC racked up in the Notre Dame duel

That’s not what the team agreed it would do when it set goals in August. The Tar Heels agreed there’d be no “making up” for previous wins or losses — just be in the moment.

So Wood told Jednak, “It's okay. We got this. Stay here, stay in the moment.” Maybe similar to what Jednak’s former coach, Ron Miller, would’ve told him.

UNC dedicated its ACC title to Miller, who led the program for 52 seasons and died in 2023. But Jednak said he wasn’t thinking about honoring Miller’s legacy during the weekend. Miller would’ve told him not to worry about that.

“If you were acting in a way in which you're doing these things, you don't have to worry about doing anything for him,” Jednak said. “It will happen because those are the skills that he's taught you.”

So on Feb. 25, Jednak did what his coach taught him, what he taught his kids and what his kids taught him: stay in the moment.

And for that, perhaps he gave Miller the best tribute possible: an ACC Championship.

@dmtwumasi