'Cherish every moment': UNC alumni give advice to class of 2024

20210216_Wang_UniversityBudgetUpdate2021-008.jpg
Students sit on quad in front of Wilson Library on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021.

As the class of 2024 prepares to graduate in May, UNC alumni reflected on their journey at the University and offered advice to seniors.

Ashley Dunham, class of 1998, said that seniors should spend their last few months of college throwing themselves into the things that matter the most. Senior year was her favorite year, and Dunham said that it's important to appreciate the small moments.

“It may be, depending on whether they go on to graduate school, the last weeks of their structured classroom experience," she said. "Or it might be the last time you’re leading a student-run organization. It might be the last time you’re hanging out with your buddies at the apartment. That kind of stuff is just all so special.”

As a double major in economics and history, Dunham said that UNC allowed her to explore her passions and be exposed to a wide variety of classes. However, as a senior, Dunham said she was unsure of what to do next. She debated going to law school or business school, and ultimately got her Master of Business Administration at Duke University.

She said her biggest piece of advice to seniors would be to set flexible goals for themselves. She added that she thinks it's important for people to try to understand what matters to them most and how to spend their time in a way that's intentional.

“But I think it's equally as important to make room for the sort of beautiful messiness of life," Dunham said.

Lou Patalano, class of 1995, said that the relationships he gained at UNC are one of his favorite things to look back on, and he met his best friend and his wife during his undergraduate years. Beyond personal relationships, Patalano encourages students to appreciate the value of networking.

“Networking is a long-term relationship that they should foster, and Carolina opens the doors," he said. "I’ve bumped into folks all across the world now, and a lot of them have UNC ties and our commonality is that irrational passion for UNC."

Patalano also encourages seniors to not feel rushed into a career decision and instead take the time to explore their opportunities. After graduating, Patalano worked for two years in the Chapel Hill area before deciding to go to law school.

“It really is taking the time to make the right decisions for themselves and not a path they feel like someone has set out for them,” he said.

Marley Parker, class of 2010, said UNC students tend to be very motivated and driven and therefore tend to put a lot of pressure on themselves. Her advice to seniors is to take some of that pressure off and not be too hard on themself.

Parker majored in media and journalism as an undergraduate and now works as a freelance science photographer on research vessels across the world. She has traveled to places such as the Antarctic Peninsula and the South Pacific region.

“I had no idea what I was doing or going to do when I graduated from college," she said. "And now I have this incredibly fulfilling, very rewarding career that allows me to travel all over the world."

Beyond the education she received from the Hussman School of Journalism and Media, Parker said her favorite part of college was the friendships she formed. After graduating, she said, friends may disperse and go to different places so it’s important to be present in the moment.

“Cherish every moment of the next two months," Patalano said. "Soak it all in, whether it be walking on the quad, looking around on a nice sunny day. Whether it be going down to Franklin Street or barhopping, enjoy it."

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com