UNC community reflects on namesake as Spencer Residence Hall reaches 100th anniversary

2020301_Katsanis_spencer-residence-hall-27.jpg

A resident enters Spencer Residence Hall on Sunday, Mar. 1, 2020. Built in 1924, Spencer was the first all-female residence hall but is now co-ed.

Spencer Residence Hall celebrated its centennial anniversary this week with an event on Wednesday evening featuring a presentation from University archivists about the hall’s history and its namesake.

The residence hall was built in 1924 as the first women’s residence hall at UNC. The hall was named after Cornelia Phillips Spencer in 1927, who became the first woman to receive an honorary degree from UNC in 1895.

While Spencer herself could not attend the University in a traditional sense, she was tied to UNC through her father and brothers — who served on faculty — and her husband, who was an alumnus.

Cecilia Moore, retired UNC campus historian, said women originally were required to dine separately from men. The residence hall had parlors, a dining room and kitchen facilities that have since been replaced with a study room and apartment for the resident advisor.

With the passage of Title IX in 1972, which eliminated restrictions on admitting women into the University, the separation gradually changed, Moore said. Up until 1972, the University continued to control the number of women it would admit as students in various ways.

Nicholas Graham, university archivist and a presenter at Wednesday’s event, said learning about the history of Spencer Hall and Spencer herself provides an opportunity to learn about UNC's history with women's education — but also about the role of racism in shaping the University and how influential families and donors influenced state and University governance.

"The University has always been influenced by politics and has always been influenced by people who either have financial or other power and who have specific views on how the University should be running," he said.

Spencer believed women should have an education, but that it should be limited to the home, Lolita Rowe, assistant university archivist for outreach and engagement, said. She also strongly opposed racial equality and the admittance of Black students into the University, Moore added.

In 1868 during the Reconstruction Era, Republicans, who were then considered liberal, took control of the state government. Spencer played a large role in mounting a letter-writing and newspaper editorial campaign to convince families not to send their sons to UNC to deprive the University of students and tuition revenue rather than allowing the University to admit Black students.

"Her legacy during that time is a little different than the legacy of the people who are in the building right now," Rowe said. "So, I think it's impactful that we're talking about this a century later about the role of the people who are here."

In 1871, the University closed due to economic and political difficulties but reopened four years later when the conservative Democrats regained control of the state. Spencer is widely known as “the bell ringer" for her ringing of the bell in the South Building to announce the University’s re-opening, Rowe said.

When the University was preparing to celebrate its bicentennial, an award celebrating the advancement of women at UNC was named the Cornelia Phillips Spencer Bell Award. Soon after the award was created, graduate student John “Yonni” Chapman wrote a dissertation highlighting Spencer’s role in opposing racial equality and her role in the University's closure.

Some female faculty members said they would not accept the award if given to them because of Spencer's name being attached, Moore said. The award is now known as the University Award for the Advancement of Women.

Kenan Community Governor Maddox Addy said he took Spencer’s complex history into account when planning Wednesday’s centennial event. He said in light of Black History Month and the coincided anniversary of Spencer Residence Hall's founding, he met with the University archivists to discuss the multifaceted and layered history of the residence hall as one that is named after someone who "did not stand for all women."

"I think that [the archivists] did a great job at going over and pacing through the different multilayered aspects of history about this dorm and the person who represents it," he said.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com