Tar Heels in the pros: How seven former Diamond Heels are faring in the MLB

Michael Busch Maryland

Sophomore Michael Busch runs around the bases after a grand slam against Maryland on March 20 at Boshamer Stadium.

With the 2024 MLB season under way, seven former Diamond Heels are already making an impact in their respective pro organizations.

Here's a breakdown of how each of those players are doing:

Daniel Bard

After being scooped up by the Boston Red Sox as the 28th MLB draft pick in 2006, pitcher Daniel Bard was named the Red Sox Rookie of the Year following his debut on the mound in 2009. Now, Bard plays for the Colorado Rockies and, at 38 years old, is the seventh-oldest player in the MLB. 

During his junior year at North Carolina, Bard led the Diamond Heels to the College World Series finals. After his first few years in the MLB, his performance faltered, and in 2017, Bard retired from the sport after not recording a major league pitch since 2013. But in 2020, Bard decided to step back on the mound, where he has seen success — his win percentage was notably high last season at .667. He is currently on the 15-day injured list.

J.B. Bukauskas

Drafted as the 15th pick in 2017 to the Houston Astros, pitcher J.B. Bukauskas made his debut with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2021. Currently, Bukauskas is signed with the Milwaukee Brewers. 

Bukauskas has a slider and changeup in his repertoire, but his most impressive pitch is his fastball. He throws comfortably in the 93-96 mile per hour range, and it's not uncommon for him to hit 98-99, which is something he's been doing since high school. With pitches like these, Bukauskas can be expected to make some positive, periodic impact for the Brewers throughout this season as his time on the mound develops.

Michael Busch

busch-2.jpg
UNC baseball junior and 1B, Michael Busch (15), swings and misses the ball during the first game of the super regionals versus Auburn on Saturday June 8, 2019. Auburn beat UNC 11-7.

First baseman Michael Busch — drafted as the 31st pick to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2019 —is the youngest Diamond Heel currently in the MLB. This season, Busch was traded to the Chicago Cubs, who faced his previous team in a series last weekend. 

Busch can do some damage in the batter’s box. Having already loaded up eight hits, four runs, and five RBI this season, Busch is off to a strong start with the Cubs.

Zac Gallen

Zac Gallen, a junior undecided major, is one of two captains for the Carolina baseball team.

Pitcher Zac Gallen was drafted in the third round to the St. Louis Cardinals in 2016. He made his MLB debut with the Miami Marlins in 2019 and was traded later that season to the Arizona Diamondbacks, who he still throws for today. 

Gallen has won several accolades over the last few years, and in 2022, went six straight starts in a row without allowing a run — tying the MLB record. Gallen is quick to adjust on the mound and is currently sitting at a 3.17 ERA over his career.

Ryder Ryan

Initially drafted in the 30th round by the Cleveland Indians in 2016, Ryder Ryan made his debut last fall with the Seattle Mariners. This season, Ryan has seen the mound a few times with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Ryder is a developing arm in the big leagues as he strides into his second season on the mound for the Pirates. So far this season, he has faced 22 batters and averaged 5.06 runs scored per nine innings. 

Jacob Stallings

12312_0604_baseball_4_key5f.jpg

Jacob Stallings

Catcher Jacob Stallings just signed with the Colorado Rockies, where he will join Bard. Stallings was initially a seventh-round pick by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2012, where he made his debut in 2016 and stayed until 2021. 

During his senior year as a Tar Heel, he caught all but one game and put up a batting average in the high .200s. In the MLB, Stallings has notched 318 hits and 24 homers on a .235 average.

Trent Thornton

Right hand pitcher Trent Thorton comes in to pitch the ninth inning.

North Carolina native and current pitcher for the Seattle Mariners, Trent Thornton was a fifth-round pick by the Houston Astros in 2015.

Thornton currently averages a 4.48 ERA throughout his MLB career. Almost all 36 of his game starts took place in his debut 2019 season with the Toronto Blue Jays, but all 17 of his game closers have come in the last four years. 

@lydiakampe

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com