UNC Police investigates vandalism to Old Well totaling more than $2,500

20231115_Skvoretz_File-south-building-old-well-1.jpg
The Old Well and South Building on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023. Fallen leaves are scattered across the path leading to the Well.

UNC Police announced on Monday afternoon that it is searching for two individuals connected to vandalism of the Old Well over the weekend.

According to the incident report, the act occurred between Saturday night and Sunday morning and resulted in an estimated $2,550 of damage to the fountain base, wooden diorama and water and polyvinyl chloride line.  

According to UNC Police's crime log, the incident was reported on Sunday at 3:20 a.m. The case status is listed as open. In a photo released by UNC Police on social media, two individuals can be seen walking through McCorkle Place at night. 

UNC Media Relations said in a statement that the University is aware of the vandalism to the Old Well and UNC Police is continuing to investigate the incident.

"The fountain has been returned to its original position, but the water supply will remain off until repairs can be completed. The Old Well is currently open to the public," the statement said. 

UNC Police asks for anyone with information to contact Investigator Humphrey at (919)962-3534.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates. 

@l_rhodsie 

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Lauren Rhodes

Lauren Rhodes is the 2024 university editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant editor and senior writer for the university desk. Lauren is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and political science with a minor in politics, philosophy and economics.