TikTok-famous preachers answer student questions

0c0a2792-00ab-4aab-87d6-de209e201cb6.original.jpg
Photo courtesy of Olivia Metelo.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, UNC students crowded around Cliffe Knechtle and his son, Stuart Knechtle, on the Quad as they answered students’ questions about faith and religion.

The father-son duo are Christian preachers who have gained their popularity on social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram for traveling to college campuses across the nation to engage with students. The work is part of their “Give Me an Answer” ministry, which seeks to offer responses to young people with faith-based doubts.

"Driven by a deep commitment to spreading the message of Jesus, we actively engage skeptics, empower truth-seekers, and offer meaningful responses to questions, doubts, and challenges concerning faith, reason, and the meaning of life," the ministry said in its online mission statement. 

On their website, the Knechtles said they have visited a variety of universities, from University of Hawaii to the University of Maine, often standing outside of prominent campus locations. 

Some of the students who gathered to hear the duo speak said they recognized Cliffe from social media, especially TikTok, and wanted to see his work in person.

“He got a lot of popularity online because he handles a lot of the more tense situations — and people with harder questions or a very aggressive attitude toward Christianity — with a lot of poise and kindness and understanding,” Ebenezer Amare, a UNC first-year, said.

Students asked questions such as “If God is so loving, why does he send people to hell?” and other queries relating to the power of free will and God’s love.

Cliffe’s "respectful" approach to preaching is something UNC graduate student Annagabriela Redding said she appreciates.

She said she saw a few videos online where he may get a little mad, but never to the point of rudeness or aggression. This has been an issue Redding has sometimes seen with other preachers at UNC, she said.

As a Christian, she said she supports UNC having platforms for people to discuss different opinions and beliefs, regardless of religion.

“If someone came in and wanted to answer questions about Islam or Buddhism, or something like that, I think that'd be great because there are people who want to spread the word of whatever religion they follow,” Redding said. “And if people are genuinely curious, and as long as they're being respectful and creating an environment of love and not hate, then I think it's a great thing.”

UNC junior Erin Newton said she enjoyed listening to Cliffe because it allowed her to learn more about Christianity from new perspectives.

“I'm a Christian, but I don't know a lot of things because I grew up in a household that wasn't religious,” Newton said. “So, I just think it's interesting for any students who are curious about religion, or just want to hear others' testimonies or learn answers to questions that they may not know either, then this is a great opportunity.”

She said she supports Cliffe being on campus because it is within his right to free speech. If students do not want to listen, Newton said, they can just keep walking.

The Knechtles did not respond to the DTH’s request for a statement before the time of publication.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

Akash Bhowmik and Laney Crawley contributed reporting to this story.