Canvas

"Music on the Porch" series to open Thursday afternoon

Amidst rocking chairs and creaky floorboards, Southern musical culture will come alive on Thursday night.

The Center for the Study of the American South’s “Music on the Porch” series kicks off Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the lawn of the Love House and Hutchins Forum on 410 East Franklin St.

The free concert will feature Durham guitarist Ryan Gustafson and Carrboro-based duo Mandolin Orange, which consists of musicians Emily Krantz and Andrew Marlin. The artists’ music draws from traditional Southern influences.

A discussion moderated by Grayson Currin, music editor for “Independent Weekly,” will follow the performance.

Center spokeswoman Lisa Beavers said she hopes that people from all areas of the University community will attend the concert.

“Music on the Porch’s mission is to bring talented, knowledgeable, and eclectic musicians together to display their talents and to engage in discussion,” she said.

Beavers said that the discussion — which includes the audience — will focus on the artists’ musical backgrounds, the traditional histories of their instruments, and their songwriting influences.

“The South has a long musical history, and many musicians point to the South’s musical tradition as an influence,” Beaver said.

“By showcasing artists in an intimate setting and allowing discussion among performers, moderator and the audience, we hope that people will walk away both entertained and more knowledgeable.”