Canvas

Wednesday Roundup 11/03 to 11/10: Daylight savings time edition

Performance

Fences
PlayMakers Repertory Company
Paul Green Theatre, Department of Dramatic Art
7:30 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday, 2:00 p.m. Sunday
Runs now through November 14
$10 student rush, $20-$45 general public

PlayMakers’ latest production, an absolutely riveting production of August Wilson’s “Fences” — a first for the company — is definitely worth the hype. Shape up and head out to the Paul Green to see a truly masterful piece of American drama.

Read staff writer Julie Cooper’s preview of “Fences” here.

Read staff writer Colin Warren-Hicks’ review of “Fences” here.

Night Music
Person Hall
9:30 p.m. tonight
Free admission

As a part of the musical composition program at UNC, students are giving on a performance of their electronic music. The electro-acoustic music lab, a recent addition to the music department, is hosting the show, where composition students will perform the music they’ve created in the lab. The show will likely bring fresh music with a unique sound from up-and-coming composers.

Read staff writer Tariq Luthun’s story on the Electro-acoustic music lab here.

Carolina Piedmont Blues Benefit with Lightnin’ Wells & John Dee Holeman
Hyde Hall, Center for the Study of the American South
4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Friday
Free and Open to the Public

North Carolina blues guitarists John Dee Holeman and Lightnin’ Wells are performing Friday to increase awareness of North Carolina Piedmont traditions. The performance is part of a collaboration with UNC’s Southern Studies Department and Raleigh Charter’s Sustaining Roots Music Community Project. The benefit will bring some of North Carolina’s richest cultural performers together to celebrate blues and the American South.

Chopin & Schumann Festival
Thursday – Sunday
Varying times and locations
$10 student tickets, $15 general public

UNC and that Duke school are coming together in an unusual example of pre-basketball season solidarity to celebrate classical music. All weekend, student recitals and performances will decorate both campuses, celebrating the classic work of composers Frédéric Chopin and Robert Schumann.

An opening gala begins the festival 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Hall, featuring a score of solo performers. It continues Friday with two performances at UNC — the first, a UNC and Duke student recital in Hill Hall at 5 p.m.; the second, a piano performance by Randall Love in Person Hall at 8 p.m. On Saturday, see Chopin and Schumann live on at Duke’s Baldwin Auditorium with another student recital at 5 p.m. and a piano performance by Mayron Tsong at 8 p.m. Sunday’s conclusion brings the music back to UNC’s Hill Hall, where Thomas Otten performs with the two final pieces at 3 p.m.

For an enriching weekend of musical and athletic rivals absolutely overflowing with classical gems, the Chopin & Schumann fest is the way to go.

Omara Portuondo
Memorial Hall
8:00 p.m. Friday Nov. 5
$10 students, $20-$55 general public

This dynamic Cuban musical legend is on tour celebrating her 80th birthday, making a stop Friday night to share some of her zest for life with the Carolina crowd. A dancer, singer and all around captivating performer, Portuondo is sure to offer up a marvelous Friday night to any lucky to find themselves in the audience.

Kremerata Baltica with Gidon Kremer
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 8
$10 students, $20-$55 general public

Violin master Gidon Kremer alone on stage would be a treat, but his friends, the 27-piece Kremerata Baltica ensemble, make this evening a real delight. Kremer has assembled a group of 27 talented musicians from the Baltic states, and his hand-picked bunch will play a trio of diverse and moving pieces at Carolina this Monday. Sure, it’s a school night, but it is totally worth putting off that homework you weren’t going to do anyway to see this stellar ensemble in action.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum recently opened a positively lovely trio of new photography exhibits. Canvas has already written enough about these exhibits — get out there and see some awesome free art while the going’s good.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the three new exhibits here.

Plus, if Warhol isn’t your bag there’s always the continuing exhibit of glass and ceramic work that opened a few weeks ago.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the exhibit here.

And in what will probably be the most exciting artistic event of the year, the Ackland is hosting a gala fundraiser recreating Andy Warhol’s famed Silver Party this Saturday night, with artists and live music and an after-part featuring Chapel Hill favorites The Love Language. Tickets are steep and mostly sold out, but you can still pick up your $50 tickets to the after party — which happens Saturday from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Top of the Hill’s Back Bar — at the Ackland.

Tickets aren’t available at the door, so you want to get down with some art nerds and fashionable Chapel Hillians, get over to the Ackland soon to get your tickets. And keep an eye out for Canvas on the dance floor.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Record exhibit on vinyl art is awesome, Canvas’ friends at Diversions say. Enough said.

This Thursday and Friday, visual and performing artist Ralph Lemon visits the Nasher to share some of his work. At 7 p.m. Thursday, he’ll host a meet and greet with the public in a free reception.

His Saturday performance, “How Can You Stay in the House All Day & Not Go Anywhere?” will be presented 8 p.m. in the Reynolds Industrial Theater. It matches Lemon with six dancers in a multimedia extravaganza that is stunning — or so says all the literature that Canvas can find.

Hop on that Robertson Bus and go get your Blue Devil art on.

Miscellaneous

UniVarsity Film Series presents “The Pianist”
Friday 9:00 PM
The Varsity on Franklin
Free admission

The finale to the three-part UniVarsity film series showcasing the classic films of Roman Polanski will come this Friday with “The Pianist”. Starring Adrien Brody in his Academy Award-winning performance as a Polish pianist trying to survive World War II in Warsaw, 2002’s “The Pianist” is Polanski’s last award-winning film. The film will be introduced by Professor Richard Cante of the Communication Studies Department. If you haven’t seen this heart-wrenching classic, make your way to the Varsity Friday night.

Read Thankful Cromartie’s story on the film series here.

Record Sale
Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Wilson Special Collections Library, Pleasants Family Assembly Room
Free and open to the public
Information: Steve Weiss, Southern Folklife Collection, (919) 962-1345

The Southern Folklife Collection (SFC) will be bringing back the classics in a record sale on Nov. 6, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the Pleasants Family Assembly Room of Wilson Library.

Thousands of old-time, country, folk, blues, jazz, and rock recordings will be sold. With CDs, LPs, 45s, 78s, cassettes, and 8-tracks — including some rare and out-of-print recordings — even those lacking a turntable will find something to love. Artists include Bessie Smith, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, Emmylou Harris, and the Red Clay Ramblers. Magazines and books will also be for sale.

Each record will be individually priced at fair market value and is either a duplicate or beyond the scope of the SFC, according to SFC head Steve Weiss. All proceeds will go to the collection.