Canvas

Wednesday [okay, Thursday] Roundup, 8/31-9/7: Oops.

Performance

The Serpent’s Egg
Forest Theatre
Aug. 26 to 28, Sept. 2 to 5 7 p.m. and Aug. 28 and Sept. 4 at 2 p.m.
Suggested donations are $8 for children and $12 for adults

This is not your average puppet show. The last two weekends until the semi-official end of summer, come out, bring a picnic and watch some extraordinary puppeteering.

Youth Performance Festival
Tandoor banquet hall, Durham, NC
Sunday, Sept. 4, from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Donations encouraged

The North Carolina Youth Classical Arts for Charity is hosting an All-Youth Carnatic Music Festival in Durham Sunday. The event is working this year toward raising $10,000 to help the people of South India through the Akshaya charity.

The festival features all artists under the age of 21 and was organized by three UNC students in partnership with many Triangle high schoolers.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Though the new exhibition “Carolina Collects” doesn’t open until Sept. 9, the Ackland is always buzzing with programs.

On Tuesday’s from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., the Ackland hosts Yoga in the Galleries. Mats are provided and the session is led by Joanne Marshall. The next Yoga in the Galleries session is Sept. 6.

Plus, the Ackland Store is open and features rotating exhibitions from local artists.

Read staff writer Kristina Weeks’ story on Carolina Collects “here”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2011/08/carolina_collects_0824.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 9 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Thursdays, $5 admission all other days.

Running now, the Nasher is showcasing “Becoming: Photographs from the Wedge Collection.” The exhibition highlights more than 100 photographic works that explore the photo portrait and identity around the world as it has changed through the century.

Beginning in mid-September, “The Deconstructive Impulse: Women Artists Reconfigure The Signs Of Power, 1973-1991” will showcase the collaborative works of progressive feminist women and the men they often had to fight to be heard.

From the Cradle to the Cave: 18 Years of NC Poster Art
Davis Library Gallery
Thursday, Aug. 25, at 5 p.m.
Free admission

First in the Union, then at the Ackland store, the popular poster art of Chapel Hill’s vibrant music and art scenes can now be seen in Davis Library’s gallery — located in the main hallway on the bottom floor. The exhibit officially opens Thursday with a panel discussion with the artists and music by Chapel Hill group The Kingsbury Manx.

Differentiate, Osterloh and McWreath
Allcott Gallery, Hanes Art Center
Aug. 30 to Sept. 27, 2011 with opening reception Tuesday, Aug. 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Free Admission

Abstract and performance works by highly regarded American artists Gina Osterloh and Mores McWreath will explore the ideas of self and difference.