Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (9/7 to 9/13): We've got cows.

Performance

A Number
PlayMakers Repertory Company
Kenan Theatre
Wednesday to Sunday at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee Sunday at 2 p.m.
Tickets are $10 to $35

A play about clones that might not be a play about clones. “A Number” is the first of the PlayMakers’ Repertory Company’s theater season. It’s short run and smaller-stage setting — highlights of the PRC2 setting in which it resides — will encourage post-performance discussion between the cast, crew and audience.

Read staff writer Grace Tatter’s preview of the play here and find senior writer Nick Andersen’s review here.

You can also check out a bit on the PRC2 program here and a Q&A with Joseph Haj, the artistic director for PlayMakers, here.

Sueños Americanos/American Dreams: The Art of Cornelio Campos
FedEx Global Education Center
Opening reception is Thursday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m.
Exhibition runs until Oct. 15, 2011.
Admission is free.

Cornelio Campos, a Mexican-born artist now living in the United States, is showcasing his paintings, illustrating the complex realities of migrant life. His work comments the political immigration debates and U.S./Mexican cultural identity.

This exhibition, with text in English and Spanish, is hosted by UNC Global, the UNC Department of Geography and the North Carolina State University Interdisciplinary Studies Department.

24LIVE
DSI Comedy
DSI Comedy Theater, Carrboro
Thurs. from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m., Fri. from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Sat. from 1 p.m. to 12 a.m.
Tickets are $12 per day or $24 for a full weekend pass.

Dirty South Improv and the Chapel Hill – Carrboro Y are teaming up for the 10th year to bring 24 hours of laughs. 24LIVE is split up into three packed nights. Proceeds go to help raise money for the Y’s “We Build People” Campaign.

Canvas reported on 24LIVE last year. Read staff writer Carson Blackwelder’s piece from Sept. 22, 2010 here, and come back to Canvas soon to read staff writer Jenna Stout’s 24LIVE experience.

Transactors
The ArtsCenter of Carrboro
Friday at 8 p.m.
Tickets are $9 for students and $16 for the general public.

You might have gone back to school two weeks ago, but the Transactors are just zipping their fanny packs. Their show, “Way Back to School” will be completely made up and set Boy Meets World style in the 1996-97 school year. The audience runs the show, giving suggestions to the cast, who make up the south’s oldest improv theater.

The cast for Way Back to School includes Anoo Brod, Greg Hohn, Nancy Pekar, Sipp, Steven Warnock, and Annie Zipper.

Look for staff writer Carson Fish’s story on the Transactors and Chapel Hill’s improv comedy scene in Friday’s print edition.

Music of Cole Porter
Kenan Music Building
Thursday at 9:30 p.m.
Free admission

Three of the UNC jazz faculty — Stephen Anderson, Jason Foureman and Dan Davis — will perform the music of American composer Cole Porter.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland’s newest exhibition, “Carolina Collects” opens to the public on Friday. The project collected pieces from UNC alumni to display in the museum, showing the abundance of art collectors in the UNC community.

Read staff writer Deborah Strange’s review of the exhibition here. You can also read staff writer Kristina Weeks’ story on Carolina Collects “here”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2011/08/carolina_collects_0824.

Plus, the Ackland Store is open and features rotating exhibitions from local artists.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 9 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Thursdays, $5 admission all other days.

Running now, the Nasher is showcasing “Becoming: Photographs from the Wedge Collection.” The exhibition highlights more than 100 photographic works that explore the photo portrait and identity around the world as it has changed through the century.

Beginning in mid-September, “The Deconstructive Impulse: Women Artists Reconfigure The Signs Of Power, 1973-1991” will showcase the collaborative works of progressive feminist women and the men they often had to fight to be heard.

From the Cradle to the Cave: 18 Years of NC Poster Art
Davis Library Gallery
Thursday, Aug. 25, at 5 p.m.
Free admission

First in the Union, then at the Ackland store, the popular poster art of Chapel Hill’s vibrant music and art scenes can now be seen in Davis Library’s gallery — located in the main hallway on the bottom floor. The exhibit officially opens Thursday with a panel discussion with the artists and music by Chapel Hill group The Kingsbury Manx.

Differentiate, Osterloh and McWreath
Allcott Gallery, Hanes Art Center
Aug. 30 to Sept. 27, 2011 with opening reception Tuesday, Aug. 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Free Admission

Abstract and performance works by highly regarded American artists Gina Osterloh and Mores McWreath will explore the ideas of self and difference.

Miscellaneous

Thomas Nozkowski
Hanes Art Center auditorium
Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 6 p.m.
Admission is free.

New York artist Thomas Nozkowski has been producing small-scale abstract paintings full of color for more than 30 years. They have been featured in hundreds of museum and gallery exhibitions around the world. His art is regarded as a skillful perfectionist for his knowledge of geometric forms and tendency to rework his original designs over the course of years.

Nozkowski is coming to campus as part of the Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture Series, sponsored by the art department in UNC’s College of Arts and Sciences.