Dress Code

How to pick a first date outfit

The only thing that's more nerve-wracking than finals for college students is going on a first date. From who it's with to where you go, your anxiety is at an all-time high. 

You're probably thinking about every possible thing that could go wrong, but you're also probably hopeful and curious to what the future holds after this exciting event.

One thing I've heard multiple times throughout my teenage years is that an outfit can make or break this event. Comfort is key and simplicity is always a great way to make a great first impression.

You don't want to have to fidget with your accessories or really any part of your outfit. Fussing with your outfit can make you feel insecure and uncomfortable during the date, so going with something edgy or risky might not be the best option since you want to be relaxed during this excitingly stressful outing. 

During the hours you spend staring at your closet before you embark on the actual date, always remember to not let your outfit outshine you. Multiple fashion gurus have focused on the idea that guys don't like to see unusual outfits and generally prefer a girl to stay on the traditional side of their closet. 

One technique that fits this description to a T is the tight on the bottom, flirty on the top combination. A classic pair of skinny jeans that hug your legs can flatter anyone and is the perfect addition to a first date outfit. Pairing your favorite skinny jeans with a romantic, pastel-colored, looser-fitting shirt will let you show off enough to feel confident, but it's comfortable to the point where you don't have to worry about what you eat or look like the entire night.

The final addition to this outfit is a good pair of slimming heels. Yes, we're in college now; it's not weird for girls to wear heels when they go out, so put away your white converse and flats and put on the heels you bought your first year but never thought you'd have the opportunity to wear. A solid colored, double strapped heel can elevate your outfit and give you the independent, young adult feel that you've wanted to accomplish since you started reading Vogue in your tweens.

.

Credit: All Woman's Talk and Stylish Wife

If jeans aren't your favorite (and don't you dare think wearing leggings on a first date is acceptable, because it most certainly is not), a classic choice for a first date is always a dress. This can be a piece that can stand alone, or adding a great pair of earrings can do the trick and make you look effortlessly beautiful and ready to take on whatever the night has in store. If you're going with a patterned or textured dress, keep it simple with stud earrings and at most, a sassy half-bun for your hair. Let the texture or pattern speak for itself, but always remember to not let the pattern wear you.

Credit: Amazing Outfits

For a solid-colored pick, pearls are always a classy addition, or you could go with a colored necklace that contrasts with the color of the dress. For example, if you're going with a rosy pink, a bright (Carolina) blue necklace could contribute to that nice pop of color. A darker color could use metallic jewelry to keep it ageless and simple, but you could always spice it up with nice, stark white jewelry.

.

Credit: Polyvore

No matter what the final decision might be, keep in mind your own personal style and be sure to let your personality shine through with whatever you wear.