DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH Readers.

Welcome back to DTH Sports At A Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

New year, new Ryan Switzer

Junior Ryan Switzer failed to live up to the Heisman-level expectations he set for himself in 2014. This season, the dynamic returner and receiver is taking a more measured approach — even if his confidence hasn't wavered.

“The older I’m getting, the more I learn that people don’t have to know what you’re thinking and they don’t have to know what you’re doing,” Switzer said. “It’s kind of best that way. I don’t have to go around proclaiming my self-ambitions. I can just go out and do it.”

Read Sports Editor Pat James' story on Switzer here.

Summer Green stakes claim on starting spot

After making 58 starts in her first three seasons for the North Carolina women's soccer team, Summer Green has had to earn every minute this offseason, even losing a position battle with Sarah Ashley Firstenberg.

But just 45 minutes into the Tar Heels' match against Weber State on Friday, Green earned the job back.

Read Senior Writer Mohammed Hedadji's story on Green here.

Not too Young to lead

The North Carolina field hockey team lost numerous key players from its 2014 squad to graduation, leaving multiple voids in the Tar Heels' lineup.  

But through preseason play, junior back Julia Young has embraced the challenge of filling the center back position. 

“(There’s) no pressure on me to lead,” Young said. “It’s an assumed leadership (role) being center back, I have a better view of the field.”

Read Staff Writer Will Bryant's story on Young here.

UNC finishes preseason undefeated

After winning its first two games of the preseason, the No. 5 North Carolina men's soccer team defeated No. 21 Coastal Carolina 2-0 on Saturday to complete a perfect preseason.

Read Staff Writer Evan Chronis' story about the men's soccer team's final scrimmage before the regular season here.

Looking ahead

• No North Carolina teams play this week prior to Friday, but we aren't taking any days off. Head to dailytarheel.com throughout the week for additional coverage of UNC athletics.