DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, UNC sports fans.

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

'One issue after another'

Sixth-year senior Alexa Newfield has undergone three major knee surgeries during her college career. After getting off to a hot start to open the 2015 season, she began to feel the pain in her knee come up again this past week. Now, North Carolina women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance will have to figure out a way to keep Newfield healthy for the long haul.

Read Assistant Sports Editor Jeremy Vernon's story here.

'We need to get the ball to him more' 

Despite a career-best performance during Thursday's loss against South Carolina, North Carolina running back Elijah Hood wasn't in the game for a pivotal series against the Gamecocks. On Monday, Coach Larry Fedora answered questions about Hood's absence on the Tar Heels' final drive.

Read Sports Editor Pat James' story here.   

Men's soccer finds scoring from bench

Through four matches, redshirt junior Tucker Hume and redshirt freshman Andy Lopez have brought a spark to the North Carolina men's soccer team's offense when coming off the bench.

Read staff writer David Allen's story here.

Andrew excels for UNC volleyball 

After losing only three matches in 2014, the North Carolina volleyball team has opened its season at 1-4. Despite the Tar Heels' struggles, senior outside hitter Leigh Andrew has remained consistent.

Read staff writer Kevin Mercer's story here

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina volleyball team hosts No. 3 Stanford on Thursday at 6 p.m.