DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans.

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

'100 percent Team Kathy'

After growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska, as the youngest of four children with a single mom, senior North Carolina defender Paige Nielsen returns home to play for the first time since becoming a Tar Heel. But one person won't be in the stands to see her play. Nielsen's mom, Kathy Nielsen, died in June from stage 4 lymphoma. Now Paige Nielsen and her teammates won't just be playing for North Carolina, they'll be playing for Team Kathy.  

Read staff writer Kayleigh Payne's story here.  

Struggling volleyball team upends No. 3 Stanford

After a 1-4 start to the season, the North Carolina volleyball team pulled off an upset win against No. 3 Stanford on Thursday. The Tar Heels swept the Cardinal 3-0, tied for the highest ranked team UNC has ever beaten. 

Read Assistant Sports Editor C Jackson Cowart's story here.

Senior volleyball player keys UNC upset

North Carolina middle blocker Paige Neuenfeldt played an instrumental role in the Tar Heels' upset over No. 3 Stanford. The senior finished the night with 10 kills and commanded attention from the opposition, freeing up her teammates to make plays. 

Read senior writer Ben Coley's story here.

North Carolina prepares for North Carolina A&T

Although the North Carolina football team is a heavy favorite Saturday against North Carolina A&T, both players and coaches know they can't sleep on the Aggies, especially when they feature the MEAC co-offensive player of the year in running back Tarik Cohen. 

Read Assistant Sports Editor C Jackson Cowart's story here

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina men's golf team plays in the Carpet Capital Intercollegiate in Rocky Face, Ga. on Friday.
  • The North Carolina volleyball team will try to follow up their upset of Stanford with a home contest against UNC-Wilmington on Friday at 6 p.m.
  • The North Carolina field hockey team will play two games on the road in New York against Syracuse and Albany on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
  • The North Carolina men's soccer team opens conference play on the road against Virginia Tech on Friday at 7 p.m.  
  • The North Carolina women's soccer team plays on the road against Nebraska on Friday at 8 p.m., then comes home to play UCLA on Sunday at 1 p.m.