DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans.

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

Tar Heels hit reset button

The North Carolina football team entered this season with two goals — to win the ACC Coastal Division and to claim the "state championship" with wins over its three in-state conference foes.

After accomplishing the first a week ago against Virginia Tech, the Tar Heels achieved the second on Saturday against N.C. State, defeating the Wolfpack 45-34. 

With the ACC Championship game set for Saturday, UNC now sets it sights on a new goal for the first time since January. 

Read Sports Editor Pat James' story here.

'Sometimes it just doesn't go in'

The North Carolina men's soccer team outshot Creighton 21-9 in Saturday's NCAA Tournament match. But despite holding this advantage, none of the Tar Heels' shots found the back of the net, as UNC fell 1-0.

Read Assistant Sports Editor Logan Ulrich's story here.

Mistakes abound

The North Carolina volleyball team entered its final regular-season match of the season against Duke with a chance to claim consecutive ACC titles and extend their winning streak to 13 games.

But because of numerous factors, including a lack of focus, the Tar Heels fell to the Blue Devils in four sets on Saturday.

Read Senior Writer Ben Coley's story here.

A win to build on

In its first game away from Chapel Hill this season, the North Carolina women's basketball team mustered a 67-62 win against Gonzaga behind senior forward Xylina McDaniel's late-game heroics.

Read staff writer Blake Richardson's story here.

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina junior varsity men's basketball team hosts Davidson County Community College at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team hosts Maryland at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Smith Center as a part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team hosts Northwestern at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at Carmichael Arena as a past of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
  • The North Carolina swimming and diving teams will send competitors to the AT&T Winter Nationals, startingon Thursday in Federal Way, Wash.