DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans.

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

Coming for the No. 1 spot

After No. 1 Oklahoma suffered a loss earlier in the week, the No. 2 North Carolina men's basketball team entered Sunday's game at Virginia Tech with a chance to reclaim the top spot in the AP Top 25 poll.

The Tar Heels led by as many as 20 points in the first half before the Hokies stormed back, taking a two-point lead with 8:05 left in regulation. But UNC ultimately held on for a gritty 75-70 win.

The Daily Tar Heel wasn't able to send a reporter to the game because of the weather, but here are seven observations from Assistant Sports Editor Logan Ulrich.

Hatchell erupts in loss at Duke

Coach Sylvia Hatchell's frustration has seemed to be building for much of this season. And in the North Carolina women's basketball team's 71-55 loss at Duke on Sunday, she finally had enough.

Read staff writer Brandon Chase's story here.

Going to the 'ship

The North Carolina men's and women's tennis teams both hosted matches at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center this weekend as a part of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick-Off Weekend.

And after both teams swept their competition, they now advance to the ITA Indoor National Championships, where they can prove they are two of the best teams in the country.

Read staff writer Will Bryant's story about the women's tennis team here, and you can check out staff writer Christian Phillips' story on the men's tennis team here.

Godwin registers record performance

In her first pentathlon of the spring season, the spotlight shined on North Carolina track and field junior Emily Godwin during Friday's Tobacco Road Multis.

Read staff writer Jordanna Clark's story here.

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina wrestling team competes against N.C. State at 7 p.m. on Monday at Dorton Arena in Raleigh.
  • The North Carolina women's tennis team hosts UNC-Greensboro at 2 p.m. on Wednesday before taking on North Carolina Central at 6:30 p.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
  • The North Carolina men's lacrosse team scrimmages Limestone at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Chapel Hill.