DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

'A Dean Smith culture'

As a friend, teacher and influential member on UNC's campus, North Carolina men's basketball coach Dean Smith touched many lives. A year after the legendary coach's death, multiple UNC coaches discuss the impact Smith had on them.

Read Senior Writer David Allen Jr.'s story here.

Seeing double, playing single

Ranked as the No. 1 doubles pair in the country, North Carolina men's tennis players Brett Clark and Robert Kelly have played an integral role in UNC's success so far this season.

But in Sunday's 4-3 win over No. 5 Oklahoma, the duo clinched the victory for the Tar Heels behind its strong singles play.

Read staff writer Kirk Meyer's story here.

'Out-toughed'

As Brice Johnson and the rest of the North Carolina men's basketball team attempted to explain what happened in Saturday's 80-76 loss at Notre Dame, they all pointed to a lack of toughness.

And after losing two games in a row to open the most difficult portion of his team's ACC schedule, Coach Roy Williams is seeking an increase in intensity from his players.

Read Sports Editor Pat James' story here.

'A new Canuck in town'

After losing three of its top four scorers from a season ago, uncertainty surrounded the North Carolina men's lacrosse team entering Saturday's season opener against Michigan.

But behind his five-goal outburst, sophomore attackman Chris Cloutier provided an offensive spark in UNC's 20-10 win over the Wolverines.

Read staff writer Kiley Burns' story here.

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina women's golf team continues play in the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge on Monday and Tuesday in Palos Verdes, Calif.
  • The North Carolina women's tennis team looks to defend its Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championship when it takes on California at noon on Monday in Madison, Wisc.
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team visits Boston College at 8 p.m. on Tuesday in Chestnut Hill, Mass.
  • The North Carolina wrestling team faces Navy at 5 p.m. on Wednesday before taking on Duke at 7 p.m. in a doubleheader at Carmichael Arena.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team hosts Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. on Thursday at Carmichael.