From the Press Box

Tar Heels steal season opener

North Carolina baseball coach Mike Fox had won all 11 season openers he had coached while at UNC.

Friday against George Washington, he needed some late-game magic out of his squad to get the 6-5 victory.

UNC had back-to-back innings with a 2-out score to propel the game to an extra inning and finally to win.

The Tar Heels had previously been down 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth when a series of fortunate events happened for the home team with two outs on the board. A single up the middle, an E5 and two consecutive walks helped UNC cross the plate and knot the score.

In the top of the tenth, GWU's Chris Holland lifted a single to centerfield and eventually scored on the play after Brendon Kelliher bunted and UNC pitcher Michael Morin poorly fielded the ball.

In the final frame, Ryan Graepel walked with one out. After advancing to second and a passed ball to third, Graepel tapped home with a Mike Cavasinni single.

A final wild pitch by GWU pitcher Bobby Lucas Jr. sealed the fate of the Colonials. Dillon Hazlett seized the opportunity and slid home to give the Tar Heels the season opening win.

Sophomore Levi Michael led UNC at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a run scored while catcher Jesse Wierzbicki had a two-run home run in the fourth inning that tied the game at 2-2.

Tom Zebroski and Chris Holland each had two hits for the Colonials, which play UNC Saturday at 2.