From the Press Box

Q&A with "Jordan Rides the Bus" director Ron Shelton

Ron Shelton, known throughout the film industry as the director of “Bull Durham,” directs the latest installment in ESPN’s 30-for-30 series, Jordan Rides the Bus. The film chronicles Michael Jordan’s departure from the world of basketball at the prime of his career and joining the minor league baseball team Birmingham Barons.

On Thursday, Shelton and I discussed his latest project, which is set to air Tuesday, Aug. 24 at 8 p.m. on ESPN.

See the review of the film here.

How did you come up with this idea?

ESPN approached me about doing one of their shows in the series. A conversation ensued and we threw ideas back and forth. It came out of a conversation. We couldn’t quite settle and then someone said Jordan playing baseball. I said, ‘I’d like to go back and revisit it because it was so big. Like, did it really happen?’ I hadn’t thought about it in 15 years.”

Did you speak to MJ in this documentary?

“No we didn’t. I sent him one page about what I was going to do with it and he gave his blessing.”

What do you hope to convey in this film? What’s your one message?

“I’d like end the rumor once and for all that he left basketball because of gambling. Many people still think he did. I would like to visit it as probably something that will never happen again. The surprise for me was to discover was that he was more successful in baseball and I and the public give him credit for. The coaches, players, Terry Francona, everyone said we couldn’t believe how much progress he made.”

What’s been your favorite 30-for-30 film?

I haven’t seen them all. I’m still getting caught up. I liked a lot of them. The Two Escobars was great and the one of Allen Iverson was interesting.”

Is there anything from MJ’s UNC days in the film?

“Everybody has seen his winning shot (in the 1982 national championship). By the time you cut it down to 50 minutes, you want less of what people have seen and more what they haven’t seen.”