From the Press Box

JV team falls in overtime

The North Carolina junior varsity men’s basketball team barely missed extending their win streak to three games, instead falling to Guilford College 68-66 in overtime Thursday night.

Despite starting the game cold from the field, UNC was able to stay with Guilford by dominating the boards and corralling several second and third chances.

But when freshman James Manor was taken out five minutes into the game, the Tar Heels lost their advantage inside and Guilford took control.

Throughout much of the first half UNC was scattered defensively and stagnant offensively, unable to piece together a run against visiting Guilford.

After going down by as many as eight, UNC made a small run to end the first half down just two points.

Out of the break, the Tar Heels trailed Guilford by two points or less for seven straight minutes until sophomore Miguel Cardona gave his squad the lead on a fast break layup.

UNC led the rest of the way and appeared to have the game sealed. But Guilford rallied in the last minute, scoring the final four points of regulation and sending the game into overtime.

In the two-minute overtime, a 3-pointer with 30 seconds left clinched the victory for Guilford.

The Tar Heels fell to 3-4 on the season.