From the Press Box

Battle of the blues to take place in Kenan Stadium

Duke hasn’t beaten North Carolina on the football field since 2003, and before that, the Blue Devils hadn’t claimed the victory bell since 1989.

But interim head coach Everett Withers emphatically called this game a rivalry.

“We’re going to have to play good because we know what kind of ball game this is,” Withers said. “This isn’t about records or anything, this is about being eight miles away and trying to be the better team on Saturday.”

Both UNC and Duke are reeling from division losses from technical institutions last week. North Carolina lost on Thursday night to Virginia Tech and the Blue Devils (3-8, 1-6) are coming off a seven-point loss to Georgia Tech last week.

Not only will the victory bell be on the line in the 98th meeting between these two teams, but it will be the final home game for 17 Tar Heels. Included in that group of departing seniors is receiver Dwight Jones, who became UNC’s second 1,000-yard reciever in the Virginia Tech game.

“Senior day, it’s going to be a very special day for all the seniors,” Jones said. “We look forward to coming out here and putting on a show for the crowd. It’s going to be our last time ever performing on the field so we’re going to take a lot of pride when we step out on the field this Saturday.”

Jones was T.J. Yates’ favorite target in last seasons’ match up with Duke, as he had 11 catches for 121 yards. This year, Jones has been the most common target for Bryn Renner as well, and Renner wants to send Jones and the rest of the seniors off in style.

“Senior day is going to be a big deal for all these seniors.” Renner said. “They’ve gone through a lot of adversity since they’ve been here, and we just want to send them out on a good note.”

Despite an NCAA investigation, suspensions and the firing of its head coach, this year’s senior class made three consecutive bowls and are bowl-eligible again this season.

“I would hope that people would look at a resilent group, a group that’s obviously got some talented players in it,” Withers said. “Hopefully they’ve grown up from the time that they walked on this campus to now.”

The Tar Heels and the Blue Devils occupy the bottom two spots in the Coastal Division of the ACC, but like Withers said, it’s not about records.

“It’s a rivalry … I know it’s a big basketball rivalry but it’s a pretty big football rivalry,” Withers said. “These games are pretty competitve and tough and can get physical, and I know they’ll come over here and try to be physical. I’m looking forward to it.”