Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

From the Press Box

Behind Enemy Lines, Sept. 19

During what has been a big news week for the UNC community, we’d like to provide an opportunity to step back and see what else has been going on around the ACC.

Here’s a look at what UNC’s conference foes have been up to:

• The Duke football team is now averaging an astonishing 38 points per game after defeating North Carolina Central University 54-17 this weekend at Wallace Wade Stadium. For maybe the first time ever, the Duke and USC football teams can relate to each other: both are 2-1, and both know what it feels like to be dominated by Stanford.
  • The NCAA cleared N.C State freshman Rodney Purvis to play after looking into the forward’s possible eligibility issues. As Purvis himself announced on Twitter:
  • FSU’s women’s soccer opened ACC play with two shutouts of top 15 teams. The Seminoles now sit atop the ACC standings. It’s early, but UNC is in eighth.
  • Georgia Tech’s option offense ran right over the Cavaliers on Saturday, 56-20. Though the performance impressive by itself, it also marked the seventh time this season an ACC team has scored 50 or more points in a game.
  • Looking ahead to Saturday, the ACC will find itself in the college football spotlight. Top-10 teams Clemson and Florida State will face off in a matchup with implications for the conference and BCS standings. No. 10 Clemson and No. 4 FSU both enter the game with 3-0 records.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide